Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Julie_Andrews

Trainees views about the College

7 posts in this topic

Hi.Tomorrow I am giving a talk to College staff (including the exam dept) on trainees attitude's towards them. My experience prior to membership was pretty awful, feeling at times victimised by them as they kept refusing me eligibility for the wretched exams.They were difficult to contact and seemed on the whole unhelpful when I did eventually get through to the relevant person! I know it is short notice but I would be interested to hear other people's views. Dont worry if it is too late cause I can always feed your comments back to them at a later stage. Cheers.

These thoughts always bothered me prior to getting membership.

I am particularly interested in knowing why it takes them 4 weeks to announce the results of part 2 clinical exams- when it can be done on the day of the exam! Does some tampering happen in London? Also why does it take them a further 4 weeks, after the results, to send the feedback, when really the best time to give feedback is just after the exam, or at least on the day of the results. Also why should people who have passed theory once,but failed the clinicals, have to go through the silly exercise of proving themselves in theory again?

Please tell them that the whole exam process needs more transparency. I don't mind them failing me 100 times, as long as they are transparent.

What is the role of the college after Aug 2007? and what's the point of paying them membership fees every year?

i would like to give a talk to college , how did u manage to do that?kindly let me know

thanks

I agree with sands, about the Royal college and exams! And I wud luv to give a talk to them too!

hi oedipal complex. Good you are giving the RCPsych a talk.

My simple view is and I will appreciate you let them know that a college that is unresponsive to the views of it's doctors is one that is run by a group of heartless spines.

The college of psychiatrists is one out of all the others who are a money generating group, while it is good for them to make money, it is rather shameful to milk their younger doctors.

time and time again the psychiatric doctors taking the exams ask the same questions and they pretend to be ignorant of these issues? it is pathetic to say the least.

A system that is ever so secretive with policies that are not in tune with present day. They say a psychiatrist must learn the art of listening and yet they do opposite. (how hypocritical!)

I am not surprised anyway, becos majority of the examiners are the most judgemental and discriminatory psychiatrists the world has ever known!

We need a royal college that has a group of doctors who are listening to 'us', open, and empathic. The cankerworm of possibly 'racism' is rift amongst particularly the examiners.

Please do not get me wrong, institutional racism is prevalent within this society, but the system of operation within the royal college is too dictatorial and racist. It is so unfair indeed.

Most experiences of doctors who bother to take the exams are fairly similar-  why is this so?

why can't there be openness and transparency about the exams?

If they've got nothing to hide, why the secrecy and standard letters when you seek to know more about 'failed' examination details?

And we all know anyway that it is not passing the exam that makes one a good psychiatrist!

I could go and on but let them know the majority of us are displeased about their secrecy and lack of openness.

we need a total overhaul of how the exams are conducted. candidates should be able to know why and how they have performed if they fail.

They should be able to seek an independent body to reassess their performance if need be.

They should be allowed two attempts within a defined time frame to take the clinicals, failure of which they should retake the written part. In the first place why did they break the exam into written and clinicals when the same fee remains applicable?

I for one, believe that many other doctors out there, do not have any faith in that college, and how the exams are presently run.

GIRL, YOU ARE OUR VOICE, YOUR SAY CAN (WITH DOUBTS THOUGH) DO SOMETHING HOPEFULLY!! tell them we are not pleased with how they conduct the exams.

Hi

just wondering why the psychiatry membership exam fees are Heftier than the other membership exams.

I totally agree with funky's and sands' views..

All the best to you Oedipal Complex..

You have the rare chance to represent the whole bunch. Please make use of this opportunity to the fullest and let the college know as to how and what we truly believe in..