Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
docdeepa

projection and projective identification

5 posts in this topic

hi,could some explain in simple language-projection and projective identification please

Projection

I project my feelings for the other person onto him...

In this case, only my thots, feelings and behaviour are affected. (the other person does not act out on it... only I do)

For eg:

'I love him'......    'denial' of this thot would make it

'I hate him'.... and 'projection of this thot would make it

' He hates me'

thus leading to paranoia

Now projective identification:

In PI, I not only project my thots to the guy, but also make him think, feel and act the way my thots are projected.

For eg:

'I hate my therapist'

so I come in late for my therapy, wasting all of his precious time...

Therapist gets angry, and shouts at me...

Here I have projected my hatred onto the therapist, but also made him act out his 'hatred' towards me... thus making him feel bad and reinforcing my thots about him...

well all this happens unconciously as they are defence mechanisms...

This is probably a simplistic version of it....

I am a very behaviour kind of person (not even cognitive)... so please forgive terms like reinforcement, thots, feelings and behaviour in the above explanation.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Projection

I project my feelings for the other person onto him...

In this case, only my thots, feelings and behaviour are affected. (the other person does not act out on it... only I do)

For eg:

'I love him'......    'denial' of this thot would make it

'[highlight]I hate him[/highlight]'.... and 'projection of this thot would make it

' He hates me'

thus leading to paranoia

Now projective identification:

In PI, I not only project my thots to the guy, but also make him think, feel and act the way my thots are projected.

For eg:

'I hate my therapist'

so I come in late for my therapy, wasting all of his precious time...

Therapist gets angry, and shouts at me...

Here I have projected my hatred onto the therapist, but also made him act out his 'hatred' towards me... thus making him feel bad and reinforcing my thots about him...

well all this happens unconciously as they are defence mechanisms...

This is probably a simplistic version of it....

I am a very behaviour kind of person (not even cognitive)... so please forgive terms like reinforcement, thots, feelings and behaviour in the above explanation.

Please correct me if I am wrong

That sounds right for projection and PI, Dorian, but denial of 'I love him' would be 'don't be silly, of course I don't love him'....

'I hate him' would probably be reaction formation ;)

If you've ever been with a patient when they are talking about something awful, and you've felt like crying, (especially if they are talking in quite a matter-of-fact way), you are identifying with their projection. That's projective identification. They project the feelings outwards so they don't have to handle them, and you soak them up like a big sponge :(

Thats interesting Ros...

A very good example...

And yeah... the he hates me bit... that must be reaction formation...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0