Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Part 2 ISQ Club - Psychology

31 posts in this topic

Below are some ISQs from the autumn 2004 exam. The complete paper can be downloaded by clicking here.

1. Repertory grid is used to measure attitudes

2. The difference in the results of the Beck Depression Rating Scale and the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale is due to the tests being administered differently

3. Trail making test is a test for memory functions

4. In the stroop test, maintenance of attention during interferences is assessed

5. Women are better than men at inferring mood from facial expression around the eyes only

6. Facial expression conveys more about depressed mood than tone of voice.

7. A listener is less likely to interrupt if the speaker re-establishes gaze

8. Being tall is associated with more chances of getting a positive response from others

9. A person’s perceived tallness creates a positive attitude towards him

10. Keeping in perspective social power, reward power is seen in family than coercive power.

11. In the absence of an autocratic leader, the workers act disruptively

12. Dominant male baboons in a stable group show the most aggression

13. According to Eysenck's theory, extraverts are more conditionable

1. Repertory grid is used to measure attitudes

true

false. Thanks to Carlo, Robbas and Io, who corrected my false 'True' unswer. Trial is rather for frontal lobe testing.

6. Facial expression conveys more about depressed mood than tone of voice.

true

8. Being tall is associated with more chances of getting a positive response from others

true

11. In the absence of an autocratic leader, the workers act disruptively

true

true.

4. In the stroop test, maintenance of attention during interferences is assessed

true

I agree with Tom on all but :

I seem to remember they do so in an UNstable group.

I'm not sure, though. ???

Anyone able to dig the Manchester Notes where Nigel did a reliable summary on Baboon's knowledge?

2. The difference in the results of the Beck Depression Rating Scale and the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale is due to the tests being administered differently

TRUE

BDI (I guess the above refers to the Beck Depression Inventory 8) ) is self administered, HDRS is clinician-administered

Notes: BDI is sensitive to changes but biased towards cognitive aspects of depression; HRDS is the most widely used as it takes all the informations into account but is biased towards biological Sx and has an unstable factors structure

Ref. Comp to Psych St 7th ed pag 182

Folks: more thoughts on baboons: In Psycholog basis of Psych, pag 259-61 I found a good account on Ethology studies.

The classic study by Jane Goodall on Chimpanzes clearly found a FALL in aggression once a male establishes his alpha-postion.... Meaning the above ISQ is FALSE.. yet it says Baboons rather than chimpanzes..

So the study by Strum in Kenya (1987)on Baboons (!) found that males won the females by finesse rather than force ( How civilized of them ;) ) and that the hierarchy was evident on females whereas males would leave the group together ..

They conclude that hyerarchy systems vary among animals much more than previously thought.

Not very helpful.

Yet the college insists on the studies by Rowell (1972) who studied baboons in different settings: in the london Zoo, where a clear dominance was established in a chimpanze-like fashion; in the African Savannah where a more flexible hierarchy was observed and in the African Forest where no hierarchy was observed at all. They conclude that the environment and especially competition for food was the main determinant.

Why did I spend so much time studying baboons??????

5. Women are better than men at inferring mood from facial expression around the eyes only

TRUE

The only difference was found at the eye subscore un this study.

Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry

Volume 42 Issue 2 Page 241 - February 2001

doi:10.1111/1469-7610.00715

The 'Reading the Mind in the Eyes' Test Revised Version: A Study with Normal Adults, and Adults with Asperger Syndrome or High-functioning Autism

Simon Baron-Cohen, Sally Wheelwright, Jacqueline Hill, Yogini Raste & Ian Plumb

7. A listener is less likely to interrupt if the speaker re-establishes gaze

FALSE: more likely

I've found the following:

http://www.cultsock.ndirect.co.uk/MUHome/cshtml/index.html

When the speaker looks at the listener with a longer gaze, typically establishing eye contact and normally accompanied by a fall in the voice's pitch and perhaps an appropriate gesture, she is saying: 'OK, I've had my say. Now it's your turn.' Thus, eye contact is used here rather like 'end of paragraph|new line' in print. Eye contact is relatively infrequent in a conversation, Argyle having established that it takes place around 30% of the time.

9. A person’s perceived tallness creates a positive attitude towards him

Both TRUE

Height

... there is some evidence that tall people are seen as more imposing and

potent than short people (Elman, 1977; Roberts & Herman, 1986), and they are, in fact, more assertive

(Collins & Zebrowitz, 1995). Tallness is associated both with perceived and real status and competence

(Cann, 1991; Cash & Duncan, 1984; Egoff, 1991; Lindeman & Sundvik, 1994; Jackson & Ervin, 1992;

Roberts & Herman , 1986 ), even a t an ea rly age (E isenberg , Roth , Brynia rski, & Murray, 1 984).

10. Keeping in perspective social power, reward power is seen (more often) in family than coercive power.

TRUE

Also legitamate power is seen

13. According to Eysenck's theory, extraverts are more conditionable

FALSE

The opposite is true. Extroverts have an under-aroused reticular system and are poor at vigilance tasks. S-R link is not easily achieved.

Psychol basis of psych pag 76

The trail making test is a test of executive function (pur&hall) therefore isn't the answer FALSE?

i think False - it is used to measure executive function and the frontal lobes.

Would agree, false. Kaplan & Sadock (big one)tabulates neuropsych tests and places trail-making test under executive function and not memory.

3) Trail making test

Yep,, I missed out on that!

Just made a little review of the literature: It seems to be good test to assess organic brain damage. It measure a number of cognitive functions, including some parts of memory (rote memory) but overall it's more to do with processing speed and executive functioning.

So, I'd agree with FALSE for exam's sake.

12: Baboons Q

Thanks a lot, melme// that link is very good AND very optimistic for mankind's future, too ;)

i didn't say it was False, I lonly casted doubts.

I agree now, it is TRUE ::)

yes, and you made baboons sound like swooning italians hanging around the spanish steps in rome

maybe you were little envious of their position in their society?

Or maybe it was a group of italian baboons :-*

Grazie, melme, & good luck this 2 weeks.. hard work is coming up

:-/

1. Repertory grid is used to measure attitudes? False

It is used for personality

Sciences basic to psychiatry Puri

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0