Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Part II ISQ Club - Child Psychiatry (d)

22 posts in this topic

Part II ISQs will be posted regularly. You are encouraged to post a reply in the thread, stating whether you think an ISQ is true or false and why (eg. a short explanation, with reference to the textbook/clinical paper/web page you used). Please only deal with one ISQ in each post and include the question as the first line of your post.

Some questions are easier than others. Some questions may be phrased incorrectly - feel free to offer alternative questions.

1. Children with chronic fatigue syndrome have more psychological problems than those with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis

2. There is an increased incidence of impaired L/R differentiation and dyspraxia in children with a specific reading disorder

3. Childhood temporal lobe epilespy is commonly associated with psychiatric disturbances

4. Complex partial seizures are usually associated with emotional problems in childhood

5. Epidemiological studies of adolescents have shown that over 50% of girls are dieting in the US

6. Dietary restriction can improve the IQ outcome in children with Tach-Sacs disease

7. Narcolepsy does not occur in children

8. Sleepwalking can be provoked by alcohol

9. Nightmares are associated with nocturnal enuresis

10. Night terrors are associated/recognised in depression

11. Encoporesis is associated with parenting style

12. Encopreses is associated with overprotective parenting

13. Encoporesis is associated with primary eneuresis

14. Enuresis has genetic locus hetrogeneity

15. In a 8 year old boy with primary nocturnal eneuresis, with no other urinary or psychiatric symptoms, iq testing is indicated

16. Parents of children with profound mental retardation are sensitised to bereavement issues

2. There is an increased incidence of impaired L/R differentiation and dyspraxia in children with a specific reading disorder --FALSE

5. Epidemiological studies of adolescents have shown that over 50% of girls are dieting in the US -TRUE

11.Encopresis is associated with parenting style.TRUE

Regression under stress.power strugglewith parents

(oxford handbook)

6.dietary restrictions improves iq outcome in tay sachs disease.False

its a lipid storage disease.no treatment death by 4years

14 enuresis has genetic locus heterogeneity.true

chromosomes 8,12,13, and 22 has been implicated

15. In a 8 year old boy with primary nocturnal eneuresis, with no other urinary or psychiatric symptoms, iq testing is indicated - true

As developmental delay is one of the possible etiologies.

9. Nightmares are associated with nocturnal enuresis -

true- if it's secondary nocturnal enuresis

false- if it's primary NE

2. There is an increased incidence of impaired L/R differentiation and dyspraxia in children with a specific reading disorder -True

It has been suggested that a group of children with specific reading disorder have a neuropsychological syndrome with poor coordination, constructional difficulties, and left/ right confusion.

Ref: SOTP page 822

9. Nightmares are associated with nocturnal enuresis

FALSE - eneuresis occurs in all but REM phases of sleep

3. Childhood temporal lobe epilespy is commonly associated with psychiatric disturbances

TRUE

4. Complex partial seizures are usually associated with emotional problems in childhood

TRUE

ref:The British Journal of Psychiatry 135

. Children with chronic fatigue syndrome have more psychological problems than those with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis . False

Nightmares are associated with nocturnal enuresis

FALSE - Enuresis does not appear to be related to a specific stage of sleep or time of night,rather bed wetting appear randomly.Kaplan and Sadock page 1257 9th edtion

. Children with chronic fatigue syndrome have more psychological problems than those with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis . False answered above

what is the ref for this answer please/?

. Children with chronic fatigue syndrome have more psychological problems than those with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis .  False answered above

what is the ref for this answer please/?

1: Psychol Med. 2003 Feb;33(2):289-97. Related Articles, Links

Psychol Med. 2003 Feb;33(2):197-201.

Psychiatric adjustment in chronic fatigue syndrome of childhood and in juvenile idiopathic arthritis.

Rangel L, Garralda ME, Hall A, Woodham S.

Imperial College at St Mary's Campus, London.

CONCLUSIONS: Psychopathology and personality problems are common in children and adolescents with severe forms of CFS and cannot be explained strictly through the experience of chronic physical illness.

I'm sure Josie won't mind me answering for her, but FOLKS PLEASE GIVE REFERENCES...... merely stating T or F is not helpful for others!

thanxx

(oxford handbook)

I think this is FALSE

Parent-child interactions are important in a large number of cases but this is not synonymus with 'parenting style' as defined by Baumrind(1971).

A search did not reveal any association.

(oxford handbook)

I think this is FALSE

Parent-child interactions are important in a large number of cases but this is not synonymus with 'parenting style' as defined by Baumrind(1971).

A search did not reveal any association.

sounds TRUE to me.

see manchester notes feb2005:

'dynamically,these kids tend to ave depresed mums and critical but distant dads'

may be associated is prob true

havent found any published research to support a  link though.

except  for

Z Kinder Jugendpsychiatr Psychother. 2005 Oct;33(4):285-93.

[Encopresis--predictive factors and outcome

this links adhd as co morbid psych problems in children and adolescents so if adhd is linked with poor parenting therefore encopresis could be also associated in a roundabout way??

so next time i see a 5 year old with this in clinic i'll blame his mum shall i?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0