Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rajeevkrishnadas

Number of new patients every week

11 posts in this topic

Dear friends... I would like to know, on an average, how many new patients a person sees in the outpatient department every week... on an average

i just want to see how many patients an SHO or SPR sees on an average before becoming a consultant...

is this something to find out whether you are working more than others? 8-)

not really.... and i can guarantee I am not working more than others...

but as a corollary... we can see that as well...  ;)

no paranoia needed here though...

i just want to see how many patients an SHO or SPR sees on an average before becoming a consultant...

please be as genuine as possible...

There is no option '0' in you list

in my out patients i only do follow ups and no new patients

infact i've never seen a new patient since starting this job

In my previous job, I used to see at least 7 new patients a week as I was in a busy assessment team. All GP referrals came to us.

However in the current post, I see 1- 2 new patient a week. Sometimes, 0 new patients a week.

There are a number of reasons why I want to know this...

For eg: Trinity if you are not seeing any new patients now and you are taking your Part 2 exam, is it not going to difficult to work up a case on the day of your exam if you dont have enough practise ??? I am in no way trying to discourage you....

In India, on an average, a resident trainee sees 3 new patients in his outpatients clinic and 'n' number of follow ups... after seeing each new patient, he has to formulate a diagnostic summary and a management plan and present it to a consultant, who would advice on the same... Considering that most residents have atleast 3 outpatient clinics a week (we work 6 days a week in India), it is 9 new patients a week times 50... ie 450 patients a year, times 3, 1350 new patients before he appears for his MD examination... This excludes the patients  he/she sees in the casualty and general medical wards...

I definitely know that the management and how we deal with the patients is grossly different here.... and that is not the point...  The point is that a resident in India, sees so many patients during his residency, that they are thorough with the psychopathology and pharmacological management of the patient.... before they go in for their exam...

Are we actually able to get that experience here before going in for our MRCPsych????????

also we need just 2.5 years to appear for our part 2

FACTS

MRCPsych is not equal to the MD in India.

MRCPsych-2 is an entry exam and the MD is an exit exam very much equivalent to the

final year SPR.

MD in Psychiatry from India is equivalent to MRCPsych part 2 exam. You go on to do your SpR training after you finish your MD just like here.

I did my MD from Delhi and use to have around 4-5 new cases every other day. I was also asked to help if there was more load on the other days. I would see around 20 new patients every week while doing my MD in India. more senior you become, more patients you get to see.

When I did my SpR training after passing my MD, I was seeing around 25 patient every clinic which was twice a week. so 50 new patents a week. The system was a bit different though. the junior doctors would see all new patients and then discuss the history and management with the SpR for further management and SpR would provide the follow up. junior doctors were allowed only limited follow up under supervision.

I was seeing 1-2 new patients while doing my SHO job. same continued as an SpR and now as a consultant, I am not seeing any because I am doing only inpatient unit job. no community work at all. I am doing liaison work as well but its only 1-2 pts a week and most of the time they are known to the services.

Technically you can become a consultant when you have completed your MD or DNB... you dont have to go in for SRship... though thats the way most people do it...

You can directly become a lecturer if there is a job... if you want to work in an academic institution...

You also can start your private practise... without any supervision...

The point is that by the time you have completed your MD, you are good enough to treat patients on your own in India...

I do medium secure forensics...what the hell are outpatients?

Interestingly all my SHO training include old age, liaison and child were inpatient posts...funny...I thought we were into community care.

I did do a rehab job which had outpatients and I didn't like it...oh well...go with what you're good at, or what you're trained in!!!

hey u have changed the poll. I had voted for 10, and now it says I have voted for none, as u changed the figures in the poll. This is not fair, and the poll is now inaccurate and invalid ;)