Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Part II ISQ Club - Child Psychiatry (c)

27 posts in this topic

Part II ISQs will be posted regularly. You are encouraged to post a reply in the thread, stating whether you think an ISQ is true or false and why (eg. a short explanation, with reference to the textbook/clinical paper/web page you used). Please only deal with one ISQ in each post and include the question as the first line of your post.

Some questions are easier than others. Some questions may be phrased incorrectly - feel free to offer alternative questions.

1. Theory of mind develops by around age 4 years

2. Theory of mind difficulties are as common in the general population as they are in people with autistic spectrum disorders

3. Parents of autistic children are usually aware of problems by the age of 12 months

4. Autism in adults carries an increased risk of schizophrenia

5. Autistic patients become less socially isolated after childhood

6. The sibling of an autistic child has 8% risk of developing autism

7. Dizygotic siblings of patients with atism have a 5% chance of also having the condition

8. Autistic children do not show attachment to mothers

9. Autism is associated with a lack of imaginative play

10. Autistic children have poor imaginative play

11. Autistic children are unable to make eye to eye contact

12. Impaired voice prosody is a feature of Aspergers Syndrome

13. Aspergers is seen in a 4:1 male to female ratio

2. Theory of mind difficulties are as common in the general population as they are in people with autistic spectrum disorders --FALSE

Parents of autistic children are usually aware of problems by the age of 12 months

false - by 3 years

there was a similar question in previous papers

5.The sibling of an autistic child has 8% risk of developing autism

7. Dizygotic siblings of patients with atism have a 5% chance of also having the condition

i'd go for false for both ( read last line)

references are loads on the internet

here is one example

There is some disagreement as to what the exact heritability of autism is. Identical twin studies put it anywhere between 36% and 95.7%, with concordance for a broader phenotype usually found at the higher end of the range. Many conflicting claims about the heritability of autism can be found on the web, for example, that it is about 80% [1], 87% [2], 60% [3], 90% [4], 80%-100% [5], 91%-93% [6], 60%-92% [7], 60%-80% [8] and even as low as 10% [9].

Autism concordance in siblings and fraternal twins is anywhere between 0% and 23.5%. This is more likely 2%-4% for classic autism and 10%-20% for a broader spectrum. Assuming a general-population prevalence of 0.1%, the risk of classic autism in siblings is 20- to 40-fold that of the general population.

5. Autistic patients become less socially isolated after childhood

false- greater deteriration after childhood

similar question in manchester

in excess of 50% of individuals with autism show deterioration in adolescence true

4. Autism in adults carries an increased risk of schizophrenia true

In the last several decades, considerable evidence has suggested that autism and schizophrenia are unrelated. However, recent reports have suggested that individuals with autism may be at greater risk for schizophrenia and that the conditions may be more closely related than generally believed

FR Volkmar and DJ Cohen

american jornal of psychiatry

also this study was cited in the bmj

4. Autism in adults carries an increased risk of schizophrenia

TRUE

ref:T.P Berney, Autism and evoling concept, BJPsych 2000.

Can some one answer these:

Correctly please:!!

Reality orientation has lasting beneficial effects when used to treat people with alzheimers.

(my feeling is false, the RCTs have not looked at long term outlook)

who knows.. anyone know differently?

Alzheimers disease can be caused By HIV infection? can it?

or r we back to viral aetiologies again?

Alzheimers diease affecting the parietal lobe is associated with worse prognosis? I think False. i Think the college is on about delusions in Alz here but I do not think this leads to worse outcome?

ADHD is as common in people with profound LD as those with a normal IQ?

Irrespective of the childs aggression, peer rejection on its own increases the risk of antisocial behaviour

Girls whose fathers die when they are young are more likely to be sexually active at a younger age

thats all for now

( I note a lack of ISQ activity on this forum this time.. this must mean everyone is sorted for the 15th ?!!)

Reality orientation has lasting beneficial effects when used to treat people with alzheimers.

False

Reference: Seminar series old age

Irrespective of the childs aggression, peer rejection on its own increases the risk of antisocial behaviour

True

Reference : Manchester notes

Alzheimers diease affecting the parietal lobe is associated with worse prognosis?

true

Ref Manchester notes

Alzheimers disease can be caused By HIV infection

i would say FALSE

HIV causes dementia but even that is not severe, is reversible on administration of medication and is not progressive. There is no other form of dementia mentioned to be caused by HIV.

Moreover its not listed in the following article as a possible risk factor?!?!

Risk factors for dementia

Catriona D. McCullagh, David Craig, Stephen P. McIlroy and A. Peter Passmore

APT 2001

3. Parents of autistic children are usually aware of problems by the age of 12 months . False

I guess this is one of those debatable questions

4. Autism in adults carries an increased risk of schizophrenia. FALSE

Autistic children are not at an increased risk of developing Schz in adult life (Goodman & Scott, 2005, Page 51)

I guess this is one of those debatable questions

4. Autism in adults carries an increased risk of schizophrenia. FALSE

Autistic children are not at an increased risk of developing Schz in adult life (Goodman & Scott, 2005, Page 51)

FALSE.....not debatable any longer. all the recent evidence based analysis did not show any linkage.

best of luck!!!

Can some one  answer these:

TRUE

Apparently ADHD increases with increasing level of learn disab... although validity of scale becomes questionable

J Intellect Disabil Res. 2003 Sep;47 Suppl 1:26-31. Related Articles, Links  

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: review of ADHD in learning disability: the Diagnostic Criteria for Psychiatric Disorders for Use with Adults with Learning Disabilities/Mental Retardation[DC-LD] criteria for diagnosis.

Seager MC, O'Brien G.

Northgate Hospital, Morpeth, Northumberland, UK. marian.seager@nsch-tr.wmids.nhs.uk

BACKGROUND: Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder [ADHD)]is believed to be common among people with learning disabilities. Classification systems in current use have presented diagnostic difficulties in this area, when used for people with learning disability (particularly adults).

RESULTS: There is preliminary evidence that ADHD is more common in this population than among the non-learning-disabled population, and indeed that rates of hyperactivity increase with increasing severity of learning disability. There are also associations between ADHD and certain causal syndromes of learning disability. CONCLUSION: While available evidence suggests that ADHD may be common among children and adults with learning disabilities, research has been hindered by deficits in currently used diagnostic classification systems. With the recent development of criteria for the diagnosis of ADHD in learning-disabled adults, and the publication of these in Diagnostic Criteria for Learning Disabilities/Mental Retardation[DC-LD] there is scope for an increase in the level of interest in the study of ADHD among adults with learning disabilities.

Girls whose fathers die when they are young are more likely to be sexually active at a younger age

Michael, have a look at that paper: it looks like answer is TRUE  ;)

Pediatrics. 2001 Sep;108(3):E46.

The association of foster care or kinship care with adolescent sexual behavior and first pregnancy.

Carpenter SC, Clyman RB, Davidson AJ, Steiner JF.

Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center (UCHSC), Denver, CO, USA. carpenter.sara@tchden.org

OBJECTIVE: Each year more than 500 000 children enter out-of-home placement. Few outcome studies of these children specifically address high-risk sexual behavior and adolescent pregnancy. Our study investigated the relationship between living in kinship or foster care and high-risk reproductive behaviors in a nationally representative sample of women.

CONCLUSIONS: A history of living in either foster or kinship care is a marker for high-risk sexual behaviors, and the risk is comparable in both out-of-home living arrangements. Recognition of these risks may enable health care providers to intervene with high-risk youth to prevent early initiation of sexual intercourse and early pregnancy.

Alzheimers disease can be caused By HIV infection?  can it?

Alzheimers diease affecting the parietal lobe is associated with worse prognosis? I think False. i Think the college is on about delusions in Alz here but I do  not think this leads to worse outcome?

thats all for now

( I note a  lack of ISQ activity on this forum this time.. this must mean everyone is sorted for the 15th ?!!)

Dear Michealshamrock & LS,

I do understand that in the middle of reference checking it is possible to have flashbacks of other questions to which you dont have answers.Without meaning to be offensive I would suggest to start a differnt thread for such questions rather than introduce them into the webmasters thread.Alzheimers questions in the middle of a child psychiatry thread may introduce chaos which is not good for any of us.Cheers.

Tao

Alzheimers disease can be caused By HIV infection?  can it?

Alzheimers diease affecting the parietal lobe is associated with worse prognosis? I think False. i Think the college is on about delusions in Alz here but I do  not think this leads to worse outcome?

thats all for now

( I note a  lack of ISQ activity on this forum this time.. this must mean everyone is sorted for the 15th ?!!)

Dear Michealshamrock & LS,

I do understand that in the middle of reference checking it is possible to have flashbacks of other questions to which you dont have answers.Without meaning to be offensive I would suggest to start a differnt thread for such questions rather than introduce them into the webmasters thread.Alzheimers questions in the middle of a child psychiatry thread may introduce chaos which is not good for any of us.Cheers.

Tao

Point taken, Tao

HIV can cause Alzheimer's dementia

[highlight]FALSE[/highlight]

It causes subcortical dementia.. Insight is preserved till the endstage of the illness.

Ref: Manch notes

Theory of the mind develops by aruond age 4years

TRUE.Goodman and Scott page 49

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0