Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Part II ISQ Club - Psychology

30 posts in this topic

Part II ISQs will be posted regularly. You are encouraged to post a reply in the thread, stating whether you think an ISQ is true or false and why (eg. a short explanation, with reference to the textbook/clinical paper/web page you used). Please only deal with one ISQ in each post and include the question as the first line of your post.

Some questions are easier than others. Some questions may be phrased incorrectly - feel free to offer alternative questions.

1. Gestalt psychology includes the law of closure

2. Semantic differential scale is used to measure attitude

3. Measurement scales with multiple answers increase reliability in measuring attitude

4. If you disagree with the attitude of someone you like you will change your attitude rather than change your opinion of the person.

5. We do not want to change out opinion about stereotypes because they help us in holding our self-esteem

6. Eysenck's personality category is idiographic

7. In autocratic leadership style, work output decreases when the leader is absent

8. Aggression is greater in the dominant member of a stable hierarchy

9. The male dominent baboons in a stable group are the most aggressive

10. Social disintegration is usually incompatible with upward mobility in social class in a population.

11. Social cohesion protects against the common cold

12. Long glances are seen before the speech ends according to non-verbal communication gaze theory

13. Sadness can be better recognised by facial expressions than by tone of voice

14. According to learned helplessness people who are depressed attribute it to external factors

15. Compliance therapy has been proven to improve the outcome of patients prescribed neuroleptic medication

16. Ensuring compliance therapy does not ensure response to psychotherapy

17. Negative reinforcement can exacerbate the avoidance in phobic avoidance

15. Compliance therapy has been proven to improve the outcome of patients prescribed neuroleptic medication

True

14. According to learned helplessness people who are depressed attribute it to external factors

? False (I am not sure I completely understand the question)

Gestalt psychology includes the law of closure

t

poximity,similarity,continuty,part wole relationship

1. Gestalt psychology includes the law of closure. TRUE

proximity etc.

4. If you disagree with the attitude of someone you like you will change your attitude rather than change your opinion of the person. TRUE.

law of congruity.

6. Eysenck's personality category is idiographic FALSE (Normothetic)

7. In autocratic leadership style, work output decreases when the leader is absent TRUE (good working style for emergencies)

11. Social cohesion protects against the common cold. FALSE. (Proximity increases cold)

13. Sadness can be better recognised by facial expressions than by tone of voice TRUE - (importnace of non - verbal cues)

14. According to learned helplessness people who are depressed attribute it to external factors. FALSE? (Seligman, whatever happense, one is powerless)

F##king baboons

True

ahem?

u sure???

2. Semantic differential scale is used to measure attitude TRUE

5. We do not want to change out opinion about stereotypes because they help us in holding our self-esteem TRUE

This is true.... it follows on from the prejudice discussion and self esteem... adn we were taught in our course that this is the case.

ie

Say I'm afraid of dogs (for example ... not that i am really afraid ;)) well in order to preserve my self esteem, ie I am ok, not a wimp, etc... then i have my prejudice against dogs, they are horrible things anyway blahbala...

(i do love dogs by the way, not just denial!!)

8. Aggression is greater in the dominant member of a stable hierarchy

9. The male dominent baboons in a stable group are the most aggressive

both true accoding to... ME... welll generally, they have aggession to establish their position, and non dominant males tend to wonder oof on their own to see if they can steal some females from another troop... wow something like that

12. Long glances are seen before the speech ends according to non-verbal communication gaze theory

CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THIS ONE PLEASE?? :-/

CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THIS ONE PLEASE??

:lol:

cant stop laughing.. but i think true.. think of George Bush giving a speech....

Q.12 Yeah... Strike the pose...and relax!

lol

i recall basic sciences full of this s'*t...in the exam.. a monkey would have done just as well...

could u pls copy and paste the question... :-* :-* :-*

CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THIS ONE PLEASE?? :-/

TRUE

see this link

http://www.asha.org/about/publications/leader-online/archives/2003/q4/f031216a.htm

And check out this reference if you can

Br J Psychol. 1969 Nov;60(4):481-94. Related Articles, Links

The consistency of gaze patterns in social interaction.

Kendon A, Cook M.

8-)

True

ahem?

u sure???

I think its TRUE

ref: Randomised controlled trial of compliance therapy. 18-month follow-up

R Kemp, G Kirov, B Everitt, P Hayward and A David

BJPsych 1998

1. Gestalt psychology includes the law of closure TRUE

2. Semantic differential scale is used to measure attitude TRUE

3. Measurement scales with multiple answers increase reliability in measuring attitude FALSE (might increase validity but reliability ?? need help in this)

4. If you disagree with the attitude of someone you like you will change your attitude rather than change your opinion of the person. FALSE ( you would change both of them abit (osgoods theory)

5. We do not want to change out opinion about stereotypes because they help us in holding our self-esteem TRUE

6. Eysenck's personality category is idiographic TRUE (it is for an individual and not nomothetic)

7. In autocratic leadership style, work output decreases when the leader is absent TRUE

8. Aggression is greater in the dominant member of a stable hierarchy TRUE

9. The male dominent baboons in a stable group are the most aggressive TRUE

10. Social disintegration is usually incompatible with upward mobility in social class in a population. TRUE

11. Social cohesion protects against the common cold FALSE

12. Long glances are seen before the speech ends according to non-verbal communication gaze theory TRUE

13. Sadness can be better recognised by facial expressions than by tone of voice TRUE

14. According to learned helplessness people who are depressed attribute it to external factors FALSE (two different theories)

15. Compliance therapy has been proven to improve the outcome of patients prescribed neuroleptic medication (short term wud be true but not long term oputcome (ref manchester)

16. Ensuring compliance therapy does not ensure response to psychotherapy true

17. Negative reinforcement can exacerbate the avoidance in phobic avoidance true

Rajiv

? False (I am not sure I completely understand the question)

TRUE

ref:core psych c2000 pgg88

FALSE!

core psych pgg89

idiographic theorists include allport,kelly,rogers,maslow and freud.

cattell and eysenck are normothetic.

False.

It is normothetic.Gupta and Gupta page 127

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0