• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest WLOER

MRCPsych or MRCP

9 posts in this topic

Hi there everyone :D.

Can I ask a few questions.

I am currently training in Russia in a M.D. program but have a interest in psychiatry.

Any clues whether overseas candidates can take the MRCPsych overseas?

I have heard from friends who did MbChB in the UK that MRCPsych is much easier compared to a MRCP. Please comment?

Have a good day ahead everyone and god bless! 8)

If it is easier, my friend, we will never admit it!

Elvis :lol:

LOL :P That wasn't really helpful was it?

Compare pass rates of MRCPsych to MRCP?

Are MRCPsych considered easier alternatives for rejects of the MRCP program?

:lol:

Some of the older/academic consultants have both the MRCP and the MRCPsych. Some people think it essential to get the MRCP before the MRCPsych in order to offer good medical care of their patients.

Some people say that the MRCP is harder. Personally I don't know. If you are attempting the MRCPsych II after 3 years of psychiatry at first attempt you have a 10% chance of passing. Overall the pass rates are very good - 42% in the MRCPsych II.

If you want a tricky exam then go for the MRCOG where the Part II offers overall pass rates of about 10%

If someone can't make the grade with the MRCP and they decide to go for the MRCPsych as a result - that is their decision.

In the end you must make your own decision. The worst thing you can do is go for the macho factor of passing the most difficult exam so you can pat yourself on the back for being so smart. You only have one life - so decide what you want out of it - do the relevant exam - get it out of the way as quickly as possible and get on with living your life.

Hope this is of some use

I also reckon that MRCPsych may be harder if English is not your first language than MRCP. I have known some brilliant psychiatrist who have flunked the clinical repeatedly probably because of accent difficulties.

I heard this one from one of my seniors, she told me that examiners in the UK are biased towards women with accents, she told me to show more cleavage to pass! LOL :P

Anyway she made it.

Are most of the examiners for MRCPsych - male or female?

Show more cleavage! I think a hairy workman's arse would get me banned from exams for life!

:oMarcieS

Women - flaunt your beauty.

Work's men arse? - hmm..... pray your OSCE is a woman consultant who likes the 'hairy' side of lads... :)

LOL :P

Dear wloer

You have got to be kidding. I think the MRCP is a lot more predictable and easier than the MRCPsych.

When i took my MRCP i felt totally at home and the knowledge expected was mostly relevant to clinical practice.

From my own experience and from what i have heard....the MRCP is easier to pass.....as the luck factor plays a lesser role!

hope this is of some help.... I just took my part 2 MRCPsych on 2nd of october and felt that i wasted a lot of time preparing for nothing!

On the other hand if you dont want to prepare anything and want to try a lottery.....MRCPsych is better :-/