• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Miguel

where and how to aim at?

3 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm a young doctor, from the EU, wanting to move to the UK, next year, to get the best possible training in psychiatry (and change climate ;)

Can anyone give me any advice on how to choose a rotation to apply for? What are the best rotations, nationwide? (is there an answer for that?) What about in London? How can I maximize the chances of getting a place in one? I'd appreciate any help or advice concerning this move. Thanks.

hi michael

well...good luck for planning to join the elite club! (or atleast the college wishes to think so)

about starting.. you may want to take up a locum to increase your chances of a rotation if you dont get any straightaway. but it is worth trying straightaway anyway.

location... i dont know about other places or about london, but leeds is good. ive been happy here anyway. the training, the support..everything is fine. i heard manchester is ok aswell...maybe other members can advise you on their places.

obviously you may want to think about the costs of living etc., for example you can buy a 4 bedroom house in leeds or manchester for the price of a tiny flat in london.

good luck.

Hi Michael!

Edinburgh offers a 4.5 year SHO rotation which covers South East Scotland.  It has a good reputation, and several options not available elsewhere e.g. Master of Philosophy (MPhil) degree/Master of Science (MSc) degree in Psychiatry at Edinburgh University; several subspecialities including child psychiatry, young people's unit, medium secure forensic unit, intensive psychiatric care unit, liason (including neuropsychiatry), psychodynamic psychotherapy, cognitive and behavioural therapy, inter personal psychotherapy, alcohol problems clinic, central drugs prescribing service, psychiatric emergency team, as well as rehabilitation, old age and general adult psychiatry.  It also offers a good mix of central teaching hospitals (4 professors) and district general units with community teams.

Most people who live near Edinburgh love the city, which has some of the best social, recreational and historical sights in Scotland.  Scotland has it's own mental health act, adults with incapacity act and mental welfare commission as well as its own chapter of the Royal College.  Everyone tends to know everyone else and enjoy a good social scene too!

It would be worth while visiting a few places to see which you prefer, but I would certainly recommend the South East Scotland Sceme :)

The Admiral