• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shrink

is it too soon for part 2?

7 posts in this topic

Hi everybody

Having recently passed my part 1 in 3rd attempt, I am eligible for part 2 straightaway.

Should i go for it or wait for another year before trying?

I feel its better to try and fail rather than not trying at all.

What do other senior or junior members feel about the issue? any advice will be appriciated.

Tx all.

I was in the same situation. Felt like I would never get part 1 but got it 3rd time round. I have just sat part two (which was straight away) and managed to pass the written. However have got the clinical to do yet and i feel a little shaky about it.

I would just do it the confidence you get from finally passing the part one might just help carry you along and there is quite a lot of overlap between the content so you dont need to go over all that psychologhy etc brand new.

Life is short and getting these out of the way may make the rest of it a bit more fun!!

Tx bridesmaid for your advice.

what you are saying does make sense.

it has reinforced my thoughts.

tx again

:)congrats on passing part 1

i do also share that getting it out of ur way is great.how ever find that part 2 is an exam where getting ur head around about nuances like critical erview,essay and clinicals is imp.eg.part2 actually brings in a structure in terms of how u assess and view patient problems in day today life,oncalls,od assesment,op tc.So it is important for one to be some where near adult/old age disciplines to get this hands on experience.

I think prep for part 2 teaches lot more than one learns in all the previous 3 years!!

all the best

another tip.just skim thru the part 2 sections of this forum,it gives a perspective reg the frame of mind one need to get into the groove pf 'part 2 going'

Some thoughts...

1. A lot of the stuff you've learnt for Part I crops up again in Part II and it makes sense to proceed before it starts slipping away

2. Conversely a lot of Part II is on the specialities and you may want to get more experience in Child / LD / Forensic / Drug and EtOH - partic as the Part II is reasonably clinically based (some of the time).

3. Then again, if you've just passed Part I on the 3rd attempt and go straight into Part II then that's essentially at least 2 years of your life in a row revising for exams - it might be better to have a bit of a break, have a good time and then press on 6 months from now

4. Equally being an SpR, with on-calls from home, and an SHO to look after the in-patients, 2 sessions of special interest and 2 sessions of research is pretty cushy !

Difficult decision ;)

Be seeing you

hi

tx for the advice ram and number 6.

since i have already done the CAMHS, LD, drus & alc job, and rightly pointed out, i have been preparing almost non stop for 2 years, i would feel a blank if i dont have to prepare for the exams. I sort of got used to of exams every 6 months. the motivation of passing part 2 is actually high considering the rewards (as pointed out by number 6).

on the other hand part 2 is totally different ball game altogether and need organisation of thoughts and knowledge of litrature for management problems, essays and crps.

i think i will give it a bit more thought and also see what my consultant got to say about it (will raise it in supervision).

difficult choice ???

tx all for the advice.