Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest drayazuk

why  Psychiatry?

10 posts in this topic

i have been asked in couple of job interviews why u like psychiatry?

im struggling for the right answer :-[,may be this forum helps in giving different views about choosing a career in psychiatry.

looking forward to sincere replies.

take care

i have always answered that question truthfully. for me the reason i chose psychiatry is that it was the only thing i found interesting at medical school, which made my career choice easy. ;)

look at the postings on 'the top 5 things i like about psychiatry' that seems to cover it.

but i agree with johnniespring. it is also a subject that seems able to encompass nearly every aspect of humanity! it just depends how deep you want to look!

that said, who else gets to meet and know so many people so well, ok some of them are completely bonkers, but it is a fine line etc!!!!

isnt it these days getting very difficult to get into psychiatry?

heard phenomenal applications for posts.

Is this phenomenon because of sudden urge in psychiatry? ;)

or does it reflect the fact that bottle neck ocurs in othr speciality in terms of going higher in the hierarchy?

hmmm ???

why psychiatry? Umm I applied because the hospital was walking distance to my house!! Quality of life is very important. And I told my interviewers that. Got the Job!!!!!!! :lol:

Came to Ireland few years ago. Wanted to do Paediatrics but could not get it because only Irish candidates were lucky to get it - they got an idea - why not go the other way - do child psychiatry and then still I would be in a speciality of pediatrics. Have done one year child psychiatry and just completing six months in General Pediatrics - a post approved by Dean of Royal College of Psychiatrists.

That is how I came in Psychiatry. Love it and love child psychiatry even more all the more since I have a six month general pediatrics experience also now.

Ireland

It fascinates me academically, I have patients who really matter to me, colleagues I like and have things in common with and a way of thinking that makes intuitive sense

if you see other specialities like internal medicine, one of my friend who recently passed plab applied for PRHO job wiht a view to do mrcp. yes PRHO not even SHO. there was one post and 800 applicants all plab cleared. this was in a remote area in north east, no big city hospital.

he says he cant even think of sho job in medicine.

he is sure that he doesnt want to do psychiatry but seems like he has to take it or sit at home after spending so much money on plab.

I agree that interest in psychiatry is the most important thing , and likewise it was the only thing that really interested me at medical school .

I would be careful at IV not to be too sentimental about psychiatry . It would be a good idea to read some of the government white papers on mental health or the NICE guidelines on mental health to get a feel for the current issues facing psychiatry in the next decade

;)

Psychiatrists as managers!!

A chapter from Oxford text.

I believe this role brings in a lot of your strengths in team bulilding,team work .this makes it very interesting.