• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rajeev

Recruiting and Retaining Psychiatrists.

3 posts in this topic

I recently came across this article 'Recruiting and retaining Psychiatrists' in the APT November 2003 issue by Dr.Sally Pidd, made interesting reading.

There is 12% annual shortage of Consultant Psychiatrists in UK, and the attrition rate of SHO's from training is a staggering 50% :o.

It was mentioned in passing that drop outs may be due to the fact that SHO's are not clearing Part-2 after passing Part-1.Apparentely they are trying to do more research on this!!.

I know of handful of people who dropped out of psychiatry( who are quite good candidates), as they were very disheartened for not passing the Part-2(definetely not for lack of trying or knowledge) and have gone to become GP's.

Even Consultants are retiring early(over worked and underpaid) adding to the problem, and this would invariably effect other Mental Health service providers and users.

It would have been interesting if the article had been written after Webmaster's Survey was published, maybe the author would have highlighted the major hurdle in SHO's becoming Consultants-  Part-2 exams.(This should motivate people who have not yet participated in the Survey, DO IT , NOW !).

At the end of the day all suffer including the Royal College if SHO's continue to drop out.

Maybe that's why they're wasting their time thinking of a new name like Royal College of Psychiatry - 'cos there'll be no Psychiatrists left at this rate >:(

I personally feel that the attrition rate amongst psychiatrists is merely reflective of the general discord amongst everyone-from english field-mouse to argintinian bear-that the NHS is spending far too long in a period of reflection without actually committing resources anywhere...And for the likes of you and me,it is frustrating.The delays it is creating for patients whilst we all adjust to all the changes ar unnaceptable.More than that,i feel there is going to be a continued mass scapegoating over the years to justify the amonunt of expenditure they need in mental health,and i pray for you all that you aren't the ones the DOH has targeted for termination by the time its plan comes to fruition.

Now,seriously ...question???

Am i plagued by persecutory delusions or just wise to be cynical............??

Sickman