• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest imranwaheed

Advice please - should I do part 2 now?

5 posts in this topic

I am after some advice - by the end of February I will have completed 30 months of psychiatric training. I passed part 1 last month at the 2nd attempt [failed the MCQ on the first attempt]. I could attempt Part 2 in Spring 2004 as I will have completed 30 months. So far I have done one old age job, 2 general adult psych jobs, learning disability and liaison psychiatry. I will probably be doing alcohol and drug addiction next.

Does anyone have any good advice regarding whether I should try for Part 2 in the Spring or wait until the Autumn.

i dont think theres much point in waiting ,as the results r so very unpredictable.

since u have completed ur 30 months--better apply for part 2 now and start studying especially the critical review bit.

its better to give the exams as early as possible

I think there is much to be said for the argument put forward in the first response but I would also say that Part II is quite a different exam and there are a lot of extra things to learn. Most of all I would say, don't take it until you are ready and well prepared. I took it 'just to have a go' once and despite knowing that I was not adequately prepared, it was still really disheartening to fail and this made subsequent attempts much harder. Any way, whatever you choose, all the best!

Its not often that i get to give advice that i can back 100% to the hilt but in this case i think i can.The messengers before me were correct in saying part 2 is a different kettle of fish etc etc but you really have to be prepared to leap right on in there.Its probably not the advice you wanted-everyone wants to hear that you should 'adequately prepare for 6 months' prior to the part 2 exam.From my own experience this is bollocks.You will undoubtedly end up with a more challenging post the further you get in your psychiatric career,and you will have to reconcile this with your available time for revision.The best thing you can do for yourself is simply to put in for the exam and get as much revision done as possible!If you do fail,so what...at least you'll have put some effort in for that second time,which'll stand you in better stead anyway.All i'm saying is don't waste your time worrying...get on and do it...or as the wonderful morgan freeman put it in the best film of all time...'get busy living...or get busy dying.......'Hope this helps

PS Good luck

Sickman

go for it as soon as you can, luck plays a bigger part to passing part II than knowledge or ability in my opinion.