• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zoran

Psyche Shortages

11 posts in this topic

I wonder if this is news to people:

Britain is facing a crippling shortage of psychiatrists, as evidence grows that they are being driven out of the profession by pressure on the mental health services, extra bureaucracy and a deepening culture of blame.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,4616435-102279,00.html

http://society.guardian.co.uk/mentalhealth/story/0,8150,905929,00.html

It's not news to me. Working in the North West I have definitely seen the lack of beds and lack of consultants in post, with a general feeling of the older consultants that they can't change anything and don't have any sort of control anymore. But it isn't just consultants that they're having difficulty recruiting, most of the SpR posts where I'm working were also unfilled. There seem to be alot of people who don't want to take these posts, or who have realised that they can get some recognised training in places like Australia instead of working in understaffed, underfunded areas. I was desperate to get my exams as soon as I could, now I'm not so sure I want to take any of these SpR posts either. The one good thing is that it may make the college realise that they need to start helping people to pass the exams so that more people get through to consultant level! :(

my impression of public psychiatry in Australia was that it is just as underfunded and understaffed as our NHS....

Shortages like this, you mean ???

Any SpR wanting to make some cash and get Consultant experience can contact:

Susan Miller consultant in Glasgow has been in contact. There is an acute staffing crisis and they would be keen to hear from SpRs wanting to do consultant locums in either GAP or Ld. The contact number is 01505 328261, Ext 211.

The Admiral

perhaps the long boring mrcpsych.....syllabus is enough to put anyone off psychiatry

+ the most expensive exams.

its a field where the demand increases as u increase the avilability of services. it implies that u can never have enough psyches, especially if we continue the current trend of medicalising social and interpersonal problems.

why is it that they often reject people at the spr interview

I think I have had enough of psychiatry already( >:( ), and haven't even started working as consultant yet!!

After all the struggle and sweat of MRCPsych Exams, I thought there will never be a worry in the world.Couldn't have been more wrong ( :-X )

recently attended a Trust enquiry for patient suicide.Man, do they make you feel little( :-/).Dreading the thought of the inquest.Now can understand better what it feels like being suicidal (just kidding!!)

Certainly won't be able to cope with another one of these.Even if it means that one leaves the country( and go to sunny Australia!)

Guys, any recommendations where one can get some TLC after such a horrible experience. I mean, some councelling numbers etc???

I would contact the BMA about this one . I once had a simliar experience to you many years ago as a trainee . I had to take 2mg diazepam for the inquest .

I find that these days getting into psyche rotation for SHO has become extremely competitive,and still we have huge consultant shortages.

Are we sure there are no leaking holes in the psyche manufacturing[sorry to be blunt] unit some where?

Are Spr 's prolonging there training?

Are people opting for no frills staff grades rather than facing the challange of being consultant?

Or are we chasing an unrealistic goal of a society that is after Prozac happiness?

:lol:..hey sorry for my ramblings..I am due to have a 5 weeks break soon to sunny warm places!

so bear with me!! ;)