Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rob

heres my experience

5 posts in this topic

I recently applied to the North London general adult rotation . I felt pretty confident that I had done myself justice in my application form .

I learned subsequently that I was not shortlisted . Naturally I was disappointed about this . I later found out that there were only 11 NTNs available and that they received in excess of 45 applications . I was ranked 30 and they only interviewed 27 .

Now what do you think about that ! Eleven NTNs for the whole of North/East/West London :o. I also heard from inside sources that one rotation had no places for the current intake .

I just feel that it is so unfair to advertise and not to disclose how many NTNs are available .

I thought that after the MRCPsych it would be clear sailing , hell no !! I mean we have all passed the exam , what more is required , one cant change the past on the person specification . I believe that the MRCPsych should be an exit exam and not an entry exam as it currently is .

:o be cool, as OBI wan would say It is your destiny to be a true psychiatry knight and it is just a matter of time, what about neighbouring rotations ???

This is getting tough!I applied to North London SpR job in learning Disabilities and got the job.There was some competition and very few posts-2 NTNs and 5 applicants. Imagine only 2 NTNs for the whole of North London (East and West)!

I think getting adult psychiatry is getting quite tough.More people want to do adult psychiatry than other specialities.All of us were under the impression that getting the MRCPsych was enough.But now!!

Can some others applying to other rotations share their experiences as well.

Hi Neopallium

Sorry to hear about the competition and them not tellig about the exact NTNs

I think comapared to other specialities still psychiatry is less competitive its about choosing the place as you may no if somebody is applying for type I spR in orthopaedics they apply all over the country (i know ppl might ave already formed roots and its difficult) to be shortlisted in 1 or 2 deaneries.

My friend got shortlisted only in birmingham (in ortho) beacuse there were several ntns and he got it he moved from leeds to B'ham

In the northern deanery the competition is not that bad like london so may be its time you moved to the north which has reputed rotational jobs and definitely bettter cost of living condition than London.

it also depends on number of people passing out from that region and how many are angling for a particular rotation

Again its like the exam i am sure its an act like our PMPs and essays whether you have said the right things in the right place so my suggestion would be to go through your application again or may be running past some spRs from other specialities because I did that and they came out with wonderful suggestions which made significant difference in the style of my application and I think that made a good impact on the shorlisting panel

good luck

and welcome ot the North!!!!!

happy to give oyu tips if u need any

santhana

It would be quite difficult for some people to move completely,especially if they have family. I think the rotations must consider these factors as well(afterall someone from a different area is less likely to take the job compared to one from same area).

Another suggestion (if you can't move) is to apply in neighbouring areas,get your number and do a inter- deanery transfer(don't know details of how but people have done it).

I agree with Santhana that London is competetive-but London has more hospitals than any part of UK and one would expect London to have more training numbers. I was quite surprised when I applied that the whole of North London just had one interview(that means everyone who passed in and around London area will be applying).

If you are keen to stay in the area you can also try and take up a LAT job or something,start a research project pertaining to the sub-speciality you are applying,get tips from SpRs and apply again for the number.

If you can move then no worries. Personally,for people like me (with spouse in a permanent consultant job and house in this area) -it is totally impossible to move.

Other options include-applying for any other subspeciality you may be interested, other than general adult-like forensic, child, etc.

Funniest thing is-my friends from other specialities think it is very easy to get into a training numbered post in psychiatry-only we know the actual situation!!