• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pratish

SHO rotation

13 posts in this topic

I have some experience of psychiatry in india and around 8 months here in UK ,

which rotation do you think i shud go for?

i have been short listed several places... sheffield, nottingham, guys , charring cross. i am presently working in newcastle.....durham county hospital

hello pratish

as u can see very difficult one to advice on.depends on what you are looking for and what developmental stage[!!]i mean family etc you are in.

As for me there is not any difference between any rotations in terms of what is learnt..most of it you have to do.

Yes some places there is an expectation you do certain things as a part of training,which usually happens in professorial units.

But then life is more than that..good oncalls, peer support,good consultant supervision and practical things like accomodation,how far are the different posts in the rotation are counts.

all the ebst

think about where u would like to do spr .as they always prefer local internal candidates.

london etc should b great but then consider about family ,accomodation etc.

good luck

I would say be very wary of places that dont push supervision . This will vary around the country and that doesnt mean that academic rotations are better .

I think that training is training is training . .......... However adequately supervised training is imperative . I have experience of both types of training with consultants who are either too busy clinically or who are just plain disinterested . Give this priority when considering a rotation .

all the best

hi there

everybody did say something that was useful but nobod actually named any rotation.....?

i had the interview for sheffield yesterday and was offered the job today and i have accepted it as a bird in hand....

i am presently in durham mine is a 6 mth job...hence a liking for the local newcastle rotation

i am single and hence presently ready to go anywhere

i do have relatives in london ...morover i am from mumbai so the city life does attract me....so i am little biased for london...

i have interview for nottingham and guys nxt week both of them are tempting......!!

what say folks.....?

If you ask me, I'll say go in for a London rotation.Guys and Charring Cross are both very good.If you have just come from India and have many relatives in London nothing to beat it.My personal experience....I felt homesick till the time I moved to a London rotation.Now I simply love everything about London.As they say...if you are tired of London then you are tired of life!!

Consider factors like accomodation(quite costly but you get some weighting extra). Nottingham rotation is considered to be good as well. I will rather not comment on Sheffield.Take care and best wishes.

due to competition for jobs i would advise accept whatever offer you get. if you accept one i would advise against accepting further offers elsewhere. people who do this drop rotations in the S**t at the last minute, which may predjudice them against you if you apply for SpR jobs there at a later date.

some useless trivia:

in my SpR pack I received there is a clause that says if you accept the job and then change your mind ,you will be reported to the GMC for disciplinary action . :o

If you accept a rotation you must then give adequate notice if you want to pull out. 1 month for an SHO, 3 months for an SpR. If you give less than this the GMC considers it professional misconduct. However even if you give enough notice people can have long memories when it comes to SpR jobs.

Bit of clarification here.

from what i understand accepting a job is not the same as starting a job.So period of notice is for those who have started a job and leaving.

I know people who accept jobs and then when they get something they wanted give it up.As long as one has clear justification like'career goals,personal reasons-accomod.family,locum vs substantial,training vs non training etc]one can do this .Very few trusts complain to gmc.but beware of last minute drops..say a day before rotation starts!!

further clarification to rams note

I think the employers are within their rights to inform GMC of the act of braching a contract. in legal terms for a nivice like me (as they put it) accepting verbally or on the phone is as good as signing a dotted line so it will be clearly a brach of contract. As Ram mentioned obviously if you have a rule you have some loopholes but there should be substantial evidence for changing your mind

distant relatives in london liking citiy life will not be good enough!!!

unless a spouce has got a job in different area which means disruption of family or issues like school etc which should be valid enpough to breach the contract

with the diffculties in getting the first job I would be very reluctant to let go the opportunity unless ofcource if the new offer is clearly a better one (like getting a threee year rotation instead of 6 months job) then again it is better to negotiate with the first ppl to offer job rather than simply jumping from one to other

i may have been bit harsh on this issue but with the litiginous world it is better to be safe than sorry!!! especially if you consider your position for 8 months without a job etc you do not want to start on a wrong foot

good luck

hey there has been some misunderstanding i am not without a job i did a 2 months locum sho post and now iam doing a 6 months stand alone post hence i guess i can pick and choose...

i went for all the interview and was given sheffield rotation nottingham 6 months post and guys have kept me on the waiting list

i deceided to take the charring cross rotation which i got yesterday...thanks for advice,,,the papers i have recd sa that if i do not give them enough time 1 month to find another SHO they can complain...

but these places interviewing 75 people i dont think it shud be diifficult to find another suitable person

thanks guys

i hope i have taken the right decesion