• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest imranwaheed

Staff Grade

7 posts in this topic

I have heard various things about the benefits of becoming a staff grade prior to becoming an SpR - can anyone shed any light on the details of this.

e.g. How long do you have to work as a staff grade for your pay to be protected when you become an SpR??

I wanst sure that this was the main benefit of becoming a Staff Grade Doctor :o

I can think of many others;

1. a break from pressure of study

2. an opportunity to experience services that are not part of the SHO rotation .

3. opportunity to do research .

4. become section12 approved .

5. persue personal interests as you might not be on the night rota .

6. enjoy life a bit more .

C Ya

Yes - very funny!

Those reasons might sound good in the interview I guess!

You could argue however that you could do most of these things on an SHO rotation - depending on which one you are on

Definitely the basic pay goes up and i think that is the only advantage , other than personal reasons

I am not sure about the exact duration, but i have known people doing that for 3 months before entering the SPR rotation

Some people say that doing a staff grade job can spoil your CV and make it difficult to get on the SPR rotation. A friend of mine was advised by his consultant not to leave the SHO rotation until he got an SPR job. Dono!???

I went straight from being a SHO to SpR.Now Iam on band IB which makes my pay very less (lesser than SHO's pay).Now I am thinking should I have taken a staff grade post in between to increase my basic pay. I agree that it dosn't look nice on your CV but if you can justify it, I don't think it matters.Anyway,taking a staff grade for just 3 months is not going to alter your career options.

hi there

I too went in straight for Spr.

I was aware of the possible financial benefits..but there were few ?? over it..like should be a substantial post[nonlocum]at least for a year!![not sure]..but then cant you make up the money aspect in first six months of consultant post anyway...??

And in terms of those reasons

1.Being a SpR no pressure on studies!!

2.yes,good one if u are unsure what area u r interested

3.of course more the reason to be spr..research time

4.can become as spr or even as sho

5.2nd line of oncall..even better in child!

6.life is still enjoyable..

hmmm somethink to think...