• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest dr_mj

advise me pls

17 posts in this topic

hi folks,

i got offers for SHO rotations in psychiatry in Exeter(that is in Devon) and from Bradford. the interviews were a week apart. i havent signed any contracts. verbally i have said yes to both as i hadnt opportunity to decide.

i am an indian with 2 yr experience of working in private psychiatric hospitals in india. i dont have a post graduate degree. Exeter - beautiful place, training at exeter only for mrcpsych, tot 7 shos, banding 2A can go down in future to 1A, only asians r doctors, SPR posts about 3. Bradford - not so beautiful, training at leeds for mrcpsych and mmedsci, 13 shos tot, banding 2b will not go down, too many asians and the pros and cons of that, SPR posts about 10 in the yorkshire rotation.

where should i go folks? on what should the prefernce be based?

???

Do what you want just make up your mind....

If you wait for too long before saying no to one place then you may get in trouble with the GMC...

Saying yes verybally means saying yes !!!

Best of luck rotation hunting

too many asians means - racial relations not too good.

The training will be good in Leeds (day release course).Go for the Bradford rotation.What do you mean by 'too many Asians and pros and cons'? I thought you may feel at 'home' as you have just come from India!!

Yeah whats with the ' too many Asians ' ? This seems to be a slightly racist statement to me.

hi

having been in the area[bradford]and done the training,i do not rate very highly the training itself.yes day release is a bonus...And bringing in the language skills and cultural awareness is important.

it is the usual story..green pastures..

And beware of political correctness!!

No right or wrong..

All the best

i have heard bradford is not that good

plus at exeter you wont have to travel

i wud say go for exeter

having just moved from a small friendly semi-rural hospital, I'm now on a big city training rotation. There are pros and cons to both places but in terms of responsibility, gaining experience and general happiness I would always choose the smaller hospitals....I would say go for Exeter, if it really doesn't suit you, you can always apply to another rotation after a year or so.

I have also heard that the Leeds/Bradford rotation is not always great, was not given any specific reasons though!

Good luck.

8)

congrats on the selections

take any...uve summed it up really pros and cons balance out

the main thing is to be in a place you will enjoy being in!

and one other thing

dont be a racist..i'm sure youre not but if you take the stuff uve written literally it does smack of racist tendencies..

have a happy rotation!

hi folks,

thanx for the replies. i dont think i am racist. i am wary of racists. i found Bradford to be dirty ( just like east ham!). and i also found a profusion of asians ( i am one too). may be the places where asians r in more numbers dont get enough finance from the goverment to keep the place clean. well, i am just wondering. one can wonder cant one?

anyway i have chosen to go to Bradford afterall coz of the masters in clinical psychiatry course at Leeds. maybe having an extra degree will prove worthwhile later.

its also true that exeter is a beautiful place and clean. i would have gone to Exeter hadnt Leeds offered the MMedSci course.

Hi!

Stuck on call waiting for the part ii results to come out, thought I would add my two penneth worth, working in York and attending the Leeds MMedSci...

Friends in leeds and bradford say its not too bad as a rotation. Problems in Leeds due to lots of locum consultants. &nbsp:lol:on't think Bradford is too bad in that respect.

Leeds course is a bit hit and miss. First year is good revision for part i. Excellent psychology lectures and stats also very useful.

Unfortunately goes down hill a bit after that. I have just completed my third year and by now it has got a bit ropey at times. Lecture syllabus is repeated in third year to accommodate people starting in both September and February, so gets a bit pointless going.

Support for the critical appraisal of literature (Yr 3) and dissertation (Yr 4) is also not so good, and some friends have had bad experiences with unsupportive tutors and dissertation supervisors.

My advice, go... enjoy the job... try the leeds course if only to aid revision and if you don't like it drop out after two? (i think, maybe three, no... pretty sure its two) years and walk away with a diploma

Chris

just for your info

bradford has got excellent results in recent times for mrcpsych

100% for part 2!!

and nearly 100%for part 1

SAys a lot doesnt it..no not really about teaching etc..but the culture,peer support,time available,support etc..

well done mj..

have fun in the 'dirty'streets...i still think one must be ready for certain things if you want to work in a inner city area..

hi mj

that wasnt meant to be mean..I truly wish u a nice time at bradford.

My problem (if you can call it that) is that I live fairly close to 3 SpR rotations, Manchester, North Wales and Merseyside. However Merseyside is the closest of these and is where I trained, I also don't wish to drive more than 45 minutes to work. Manchester and Northwales have advertised, Merseyside hasn't.

If I hold out for Liverpool and ignore the other 2 am I:

a) Showing pickiness and lack of commitment?

B) Putting myself at risk of never getting an SpR job.

c) If I do a staff grade job until a job comes along in Liverpool, am I also reducing my chances?

dear friend

45 minutes driving time!!u must be joking!!

unlike sho schemes,SpR schemes are widely dispersd geographically.So more often than not u will be posted away from your home base hospital.

and these days 1 hour drive in the rush hour traffic is a common thing,even if u are doing a 10 mile journey!

as for rest of reasons,i dont think u will picky and less committed for waitng for 'the job' u want for either personal or proffessional objectives reasons.

all the best