Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kris_77

NHS cost cutting-sign of things to come?

12 posts in this topic

We have been advised by the Trust not to leave computers on standby and to switch off lights when not in use. Apparently they are going to send people around to enforce it and 'come down hard' on people who don't comply! Also,they are planning to monitor phone calls to stop phone usage for personal purposes.

Hope they don`t sack me for leaving my computer on standby when leaving the office!

I would imagine this saves money...

but it is also good for the environment...

So I have decided to do so for the environment and I switch it off every day!

What do other people think?

I know how to switch off my computer, but don't know how to turn it back on again...

This is something we kepp doing at home to save energy and money.

i've been getting on to switching off computers and turning off lights at work whenever possible.

it's something i do to try to reduce energy useage. i'm not convinced that they will save money if they are getting people to go round in work time ensuring that stuff is switched off though.

All Trusts are doing something or the other to save money.

Photocopy papers have been stopped in some, Taxis between sites stopped.

So many things happening.

I think it is good thinking that telephone calls are monitored and lights switched off.

At the end of the day we all depend on the survival of the NHS.

I completely agree with all these cost-cutting measures. There's so much wastage in the NHS, simple things like the cleaners putting a yellow bag in the bin where there should be a black bag e.g. in the toilet. I was told it costs 7x as much to dispose of a yellow bag as a black bag. And the other day I needed a simple dry gauze-thing for after a PR examination. There wasn't a single one on the ward so they opened a sterile dressing pack complete with kidney dish, saline, sterile gloves etc. I only needed to wipe the patient's bottom. How much did that single examination cost I wonder.

I agree such measures do help the environment and to an extent welcome such initiatives.However, what irks me is that they are indulging in such penny pinching when substantial sums of money could be saved through streamlining the NHS and getting rid of excess managerial staff. Earlier this month,we were told that 180 managers across the trust/social servuces were offered voluntary redundancies,149 of who accepted it. So the assumption is that the NHS and Social Services can function perfectly well without these managers.So why did they employ them in the 1st place? They might save a few hundred pounds by getting people to switch off their computers where as they could be saving hundreds of thousands, firing unnecessary non clinical staff.

We have been advised by the Trust not to leave computers on standby and to switch off lights when not in use.

I don't see anything wrong in the trust doing this. This is something I do at my own house to save power

:-?I hope you all switched off your computers for the xmas break . It nice to know we are all chipping in for the environment. Merry xmas to you all,and this includes the webmaster.

I agree such measures do help the environment and to an extent welcome such initiatives.However, what irks me is that they are indulging in such penny pinching when substantial sums of money could be saved through streamlining the NHS and getting rid of excess managerial staff. Earlier this month,we were told that 180 managers across the trust/social servuces were offered voluntary redundancies,149 of who accepted it. So the assumption is that the NHS and Social Services can function perfectly well without these managers.So why did they employ them in the 1st place? They might save a few hundred pounds by getting people to switch off their computers where as they could be saving hundreds of thousands, firing unnecessary non clinical staff.

I think getting rid of useless managerial and bureaucratic staff is the appropriate way of saving money and these are the guys who keep on sitting in front of computers day in and out.

I think getting rid of useless managerial and bureaucratic staff is the appropriate way of saving money and these are the guys who keep on sitting in front of computers day in and out.

Right said SRS