Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
radhika

SpR interview-a recent experience

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

It has been sometime since I've posted in this forum.How are you all? I am posting to share my recent experience(I mean today) at a SpR interview(Learning disabilities).

The questions had nothing to do with my preparation!(I read loads on clinical governance,audit,NICE,revalidation,CHIMP,NSF,recent journals,interesting papers,MDT,etc).

There were about 7 people in the panel but only 3 asked questions.Total time was 30 minutes.No presentation or role play(thank God!).

Questions were about my CV and experience.Also my research project(luckily I had one in LD).They asked me to define randomised controlled trial,double blinding,etc-advantages and disadvantages of double blinding.Then I was asked about an incident which caused an ethical dilemma,why I want to do learning disabilities,consent issues,etc.About teaching... I was asked about teaching'Valuing People' to medical students,whether I like teaching,etc.

I was also asked about how I would organise my timetable during the week(what I would do for special interest sessions,etc).

The intervieweres were nice but questions were vague.All is well that ends well.I got the job and I am really happy about it!Wish all of you success in your forthcoming interviews as well!

8) 8) well done and thanks for your contributions to the forum :-*

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great news Radhika - all your hard work paid off.  Dont forget us what havent got the exam yet - keep us posted how you are getting on.

Much love

Elvis :-*

congrats radhika

mine was also different the lay public person(in the panel) cudnt make it got stuck in snow i reached there with gr8 difficulty in blizzard condition net result i got the job

Qs were about CV

Research any projects in mind

teaching spent lot of time on this

role as team member

team leader

be cause i was a staff grade they wanted to know wat arethe cahllenges i face in the career cahnge from non training grade to training grade

touched on clinical governance

interview went for nearly an hour but very friendly

took 24 hrs to inform of the selection

i also gor the posting i wanted

nett result good

folk ur time is just coming sit tight and be good and i pray for all our cafe members to pass

Congratulations and thanks for contributing to the Forum  :)

Congratulations!

That sounds like a good interview, however jobs in Merseyside and other parts of the country tend to be fairly competitive, I think interviews elsewhere probably do touch on things like clinical governance etc. :D

Hi.I am thinking of applying for the North Thames( Harperbury etc) LD SPR rotation and was wondering if that was the one you got ?

By the way, what on Earth is 'valuing people'? Is it some kind of goverment policy/initiative/meaningless spin? And where can I read up on it?

Thanks! Got my SpR interview tomorrow in Bangor! :-/

dear osris,

i don't know all the department of health 'speak'

but i think valueing people is about helping people with learning disabilities live as normal a life as possible.

it's about dignity, choice and respect.

i think it came about after the closure of the old large 'village like' places where people with LD lived in a self sufficient community with little contact with the 'outside world' it was found out that they were not treated very well.

valueing people is also about individual needs based care/ mangement.

hope this helps. i'm sure valueing people is along these lines.

good luck in your interveiw.

by the way, is it for an LD job? if so please post the questions when you come back.

i'm watching out for LD jobs myself.

Valueing People ?2001 was the Dept of Health set of guidelines on targets for health care provision for LD adults e.g all to have equal access to general adult services including crisis services, assertive outreach etc. Published on their website (abbreviated document available).

Sorry this late at night - best of luck with your interview, Osiris. Let us know what you've gone for and how you get on - all advice appreciated.

Che ;)

Had my interview in Bangor. Didn't get it. Not too disappointed, there were 4 of us (the 5th dropped out) competing for two jobs, one was a substantive GA SpR post, the other was a LAT.

there were 7 people on the panel, it was friendly and fairly informal, however it made no difference as my nerves were pretty much shot too bits anyway.

The 1st asked me about my CV, he was particularly interested in my pre-psychiatry  experience (I had been an A&E SHO, medical SHO and finally done some radiology before moving into psychiatry). Interestingly this was also discussed at length and somewhat negatively in my Psych SHO interview.

The 2nd guy asked me about my opinion on NICE guidelines, what did I think about the NICE guidelines for ECT, what sort of biochemical monitoring did people on atypical antipsychotics need, and difficulties I had with regard to capacity in people with psychosis (this freaked me out slightly as i wasn't entirely sure what he was on about and ended up waffling about people with dementia!)

the 3rd asked me about my audit and research experience, what plans I had for research, how I felt about teaching and what makes a good teacher.

the 4th interviewer (Who was the representitive of management/personnel) asked me if i knew what the components of clinical governance were, I could only remember 3, and what i thought about EWTD.

the 5th seemed worried about the fact that I lived 63 miles away from Bangor, her only question was would i be prepared to work in bangor if i had a post there.

The 6th interviewer was the chairperson of the panel, her only question was did i have any questions.

the whole thing lasted about 40 minutes.

I now have a lot of preparation to do as i have also applied the Merseyside SpR rotation!

Anybody know about SpR interview courses?  ;)