• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest sheeth76

definite time needed to do part 2

10 posts in this topic

hi !

i am taking my part 2 examination in autumn 2004 and have only just started studying :-[ .should this time be enough . can people share their own experiences please or is it very little time . i am only posting my application this weekend so please advise!!!!!!!! ??? ???

It took me 3 attempts to get through the part 2. I failed the written once and the long case once. Each time I started about 2 months before the exam. My reasoning was if you start any earlier, you'll just forget it all and go stale.

I also followed the somewhat risky strategy of only preparing for the clinical after getting my written result. I tried starting earlier both times, but couldn't get myself motivated. I paid dearly for that last Autumn.

dealing with clinicals headon with full force is better dne after the theory..may be not waiting till the results are out!!

but then clinicla si feel is about making the right use of time in supervision with your consultant..

as for theory if u r fresh out of part1 6-8 weeks is enough to go at criticla review and essays.

lot of mcq tecniques come handy

common sense prevails

all the best

You do have enough time but you need to start working seriously from now on.I have posted some tips in an other section about approaching part 2.Best of luck

I started in February (seriously) for part II in April. Missed 2 weeks of studying in March because son ill (ended up in hospital a couple of days).

Did some MCQ's (Manchester, one or two books including once basic sciences MCQ book) plus questions on super-ego. Didn't spend huge amounts of time on these as the papers are so difficult I didn't think it would make much difference.

Did essay prep in a group. Looked at APT and BJPsych editorials, some Lancet editorials (different people found different stuff).

Critical appraisal - find a good course. Go through Lowrie and MacKintosh.

With all of the above, if lucky, you should pass.

it shouldnt be a problem, I started mid to end july and it was ok, as long as you have a sturcture and plan to cover all the different parts.

loads of MCQs

practise critical reviews

I never bothered practising writing out essays, too time consuming

good luck

i didn't start revising for the part II at all the first time i sat it. i passed the written. i failed the PMPs. second time i opened a book, but didn't do much really and passed. so you've started in plenty of time.

Thank God for that.

Really feel I should have done lots already.

8 weeks to go, and I've got the fear...

Same for me..i think i have left it too late..

but gotta make the best of the time available now..a crash course of studying!!

why?...oh why didn't i start earlier? but all's not lost...not yet anyway...