Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
miyocula

Stupid On-Call Jobs

9 posts in this topic

Here comes another wave:

When I was an SHO, I was asked to review a patient because she wanted to smoke a cigarette, and the nurses thought she was a non-smoker. My reply: 'Maybe she smokes occasionally. What else do you want me to say or do?' and I cut the phone.

no offence mate.. it appears that you werent in the good books of the nursing staff... :o

I should think in the current scheme of things (NHS Smoking Ban) a patient wanting to smoke on the ward (if it is smoke free ) is a 'big' thing and the nurses (often the naughty ones )could be justified in calling the doctor out to 'face the music '.... ;)

well, I am not too sure about that...

I would imagine that this will indeed be a problem. However I should think that the nurses would be able to explain this to the patient without any need for us to intervene....!

What do others think?

This is not a matter that needs medical intervention...!

;)

When I was an SHO, I was asked to review a patient because she wanted to smoke a cigarette, and the nurses thought she was a non-smoker.  quote]

I am not surprised at all.. lot of our patients, first get exposed to substances in the wards...

I am not surprised at all.. lot of our patients, first get exposed to substances in the wards...

Really? You must have very young patients given that most folk start dabbling in narcotics in their mid teens...

no offence mate.. it appears that you werent in the good books of the nursing staff... :o

Well - we have an SHO on our rotation who the nurses swoon over and they call him (and they freely admit this!) late at night to prescribe paracetemol/loperamide/etc. just to see him!

(This is despite the fact that we have a telephone prescribing policy for stat doses in our trust!)