Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hani

Permit free visa

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

Hope you can help.

I'm in the middle of my 8th SHO job. I have passed part II theory twice but failed in the clincals. I've done the theory exam again and I get the result next week.

Now my contract expires end of Jan 2004 and so does my permit free visa (I've used the 4 years). The trust has offered me an extension i.e. another post on the rotation but I'm not sure whether the postgraduate dean would recommend an extension. I've heard that many people in similar situation have got an extension of their permit free visa for a 5th year to allow them to pass the MRCPsych. Has anyone here done that? Or is it better to forget about the SHO rotation and look for a staff grade post?

Many Thanks

Hani

Sorry about your situation.I know how u feel as i have been through the same .

The problem with home office is that they wont extend your visa till one month before it expires (my experience).So even if you get the Deans letter u might probably not know if u will get an extension before end of dec.

If you pass your exams, u r looking at 1-2 week of dec when u get the results.That leaves u with 4-6 weeks to look for an SpR job, but things are not rosy at the moment, it may take longer.

If unfortunately u don't make it, then again u might not know it end of Dec if u will get an extension.If you do get an extension ,it would be probably for 6 months.

You will be living on borrowed time and go through the same process again in 6 months.

If you take up a staff grade job, permanent( at least on paper) and not locum, u could get 4-5 years Work permit visa or in some trusts for atleast 1 year for the first year then make it for 5 years.so u would'nt have to worry about visa, and can sit for ur exams without having to worry about it ( as if the exams is not a big enough worry).I was in the same situation and took up a staff grade job,passed my exams and now taken up SpR job.

So u either:

Pass ur exams and hope to get an SpR job ASAP.

Pray to God that the Officer in-charge is in a good mood and will give u an extension.

Take up a staff grade job.

Tough call, but this is a common problem for overseas doctors.

hope this is useful.Others might have different opinions.

Hi hani,

another option is to go down the HSMP route. Following a successful application you're guaranteed leave to remain and then u can decide whatever u want to do.

Thought safest is going for Staff Grade.

Even that takes few weeks for the the Trust to Apply Work Permit for you.

Another good point is you(hopefully) will get pay protection for salary when you re-join training grade.

I heard that people don't get additional score for Membership Degree(MPCPsych,MRCP,etc). Is it true,Niyi?

Hi cocci,

speaking from personal experience i believe they do give priority consideration to people with membership cos i recently applied and i got approved within 10 days of my cheque clearing even though the average waiting time is about 6 mths.