• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest nippy

Consultant locums

6 posts in this topic

Can anyone share advice on common pitfalls etc when doing consultant locums, between passing MRCPsych and starting formal SpR training ?. I presume that Old Age Psychiatry is a gentler introduction than General Adult ??

Many thanks,

J.

Don't do it. SpR training is to equip you for consultancy. MRCPsych isn't a licence to be a consultant. Think of the risk if something goes wrong rather than the money being offered by someone eager to fill a vacant post. Why are they offering to someone without a CCST - any such post unlikely to be a 'gentle introduction'. SpR training allows 3 months consultant locum in final year of training with appropriate supervision which is the right time to do it

:)

I believe above query is one everyone would like to know..sometimes after conquering the exams suddenly world looks like full of opportunities.

I did think about it as well purely for the financial aspect of it,but then was told by my consultant'spr time is a golden period with no hassles of being sho and the hardship of consultant.

by the way it is great to see a consultant on this forum.

valuable perspective.

I heard that doing a locum consultant first might hinder your chances of getting SpR job! Although it certainly is tempting!

Good luck!

don't think this is gonna be much of an advice but this is what i know-two of my friends are locum consultants and they have not completed their CCST. they are making good money compared to the crap we'd get paid as regular consultants.

No problems about getting into a Spr job after doing locum consultant if you are good enough in your interview.may be there will be a scorn in their attitude when they interview you.

an acquaintance in manchester was a locum consultant for 4 years before she came back into CCST.i think it is purely your choice.but with the way the 'market' is getting flooded with people,the competition for regular jobs may be very high and thats one reason why it might be worth reconsidering what you are going to do. but hey,its your choice again.

as a Locum,you may not have an SHo and when you are not CCST,then you'll never have a SHO.thats one thing to think about!hoep that was useful.

dont worry

if u are in financial need just do it

asking lot of people might confuse more

spr interviews are becoming competitive..for example look at me ...I havenot even been short listed, forget about the interview, for our own rotation in sheffield.I am not bothered as I am not sure about the part 2 resultsanyway. I know that many other rotations are more helpful for their own trainees.

I know people who have successfully done consultant locums without any difficulty.

It all depends upon how youcan justify yourself in the sspr interview

godluck