• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest sheeth76

any advice about residency program in america

6 posts in this topic

[glb]TEXT[/glb]  hi !

i am about to take up psychiatry residency in america 8). can anyone advice me about how it is out there. i have heard nightmare stories that it is very very busy ? is that true. i have done 3 yrs of psychiatry here ,but they do not give any exemptions , does anyone know about any shortcuts?

URL

Did you find USMLE difficult?. If you have heard 'nightmare stories' - could you elaborate for the rest of us. Yes, they will work you hard in the US depending on what hospital you are in. I don't know of any 'shortcuts'. Why have you decided to go to US?.

Hello

I am told that you can get upto a year's exemption i.e 3 years instead of 4, if you have done 3 years recognised training in Psychiatry in UK. But licensing may be a problem in certain states of US when you finish residency, it seems.

I will be keen to find out why moving to US is a good idea if already worked here for over 3 years.

Anyways Good Luck

hi ! thanks for the information. basically ,what i meant by nightmare stories ( i heard from a chief resident in psychiatry) was that during the 1 st yr of residency i had to do general medicine and neurology clinics etc. i finished my house jobs in 1999 and started psychiatry straight away ,so working very hard that too in medicine is a nightmare for me .also they start journal clubs case conferences at 7 am in the morning .........

sheeth

you'll be working 4 months in primary care(incl med/ped/FP) and 2 months in neurology. Typically your day in medicine will start at 7 and you'll leave at 5 if you are not on call. The average call is q4/5 for most of the places, and you'll leave at 2 PM the day after. The same holds true for neurology.That said, the average workload is not that intense, most of the decent hospitals don't abuse residents for scuts and you'll have at least one medicine intern paired w/ you. So it is definitely doable. However the horror stories typically involve psych rotations in CRC/PES when you are on-call and you don't have any social worker to help you w/ dispo planning during the night >:(. And to my knowledge this is more prevalent in NY hospitals.

Hope this helps. :)

speaking of wroking in north america,, does anybody know wehter one can work in canada (which i think isa better palce by miles!!) having succesfully passed the mebership exam without having to sit furhter exams???????? ???