• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drphalaksh

non resident on call?

10 posts in this topic

if nebody knows about non resident on calls /

our trust has created this new thing call non resident on calls to comply with the working hours regulation

according to this they will consider only hrs worked as on call.

otherwise v r woking more than 60 hrs a week

does ne body know about non resident on calls for junior doctors?

I think when in doubt call those nice people at BMA or Royal College psychiatry. You are probably being screwed over but maybe I have worked too long in the NHS and have become v cynical. Think about it...they want you to work just as much but from home so the books look good. And you can kiss your on-call room goodbye if you agree to this malarkey. Be militant my friend and give them the finger!

If you are unlucky enough to have lost your on-call room already, I know some medics who got excellent auto-inflatable air mattresses from Argos (cheap too). We shall overcome...

Che

This I believe is due to the simap case in spain where the courts say any time spent in hospital is considered work. From what I understand, it depends if your rota is a partial shift or full shift. Full shift rotas are considered work at all times as the rest requirements are only 30 mins every 4 hours. Other rotas - non work times are built in at the moment. In these incidences.. time spent travelling to & from place of work, time answering questions over the telephone and getting yourself clean and presentable before leaving to respond to the call are considered work.

Been doing non-resident on-calls in psychiatry in Somerset as SHO for the last 4 years.

Works well, able to sit in own home (or local pub) with friends if not actually doing work - far more civilised than spending a quiet few hours stuck in a damp on-call room watching crap on TV. And you can go shopping, play sport, anything - so long as you can get to the unit within an hour.

And it gives you an excuse to get one of those green flashing lights for your car...

Sounds good, but my experience of Non-resident on call wasn't really like that.

We didn't get a green flashing light on the car, were you allowed to go over the speed limit with it by the way?

The first place were I did non resident on call was Arrowe Park Hospital about 3 years ago.  On calls were busy, I saw an average of 5 patients on weekdays and 10 or more over the course of the weekends.  In theory I could go shopping or go to the pub, in practice I was bleeped the minute I set foot in the pub.

That said I'm doing a resident on call (sorry full shift, we don't do on call anymore) at the moment and it is a pain.  I have to eat hospital food which is crap because I'm not allowed to leave the site, even though though there is a Burger King less than 5 minutes away and Safeway 10 minutes away.  Fortunately we still have beds, we were told by managemnt that we're not allowed to use them while on call, they're for use in the morning, but we were also told that no-one will check and see what we are doing in the privacy of the on call room.  I also take my lap top in with me when I'm on call, I'm now addicted to computer games as a result. :)

In theory the Non-Resident On call rota is for use in places where the intensity of out of usual hours ( 9pm - 9 am) work is less. The priciple is that you stay at home( or wherever) and when called you travel to hospital. the work time includes time from when you were alerted till the time you come back to your house ( or where you started from). If you are on Non-resident On-call and you are being called more than twice or thrice a night then you should complain about it and ask for it to be changed to resident on-call. it will take persistent complaints from all sho's for it to be heard.

best of luck.

Non Resident on-call is also under the auspices of the Jaeger ruling, which is part of the EWTD. This requires that after being called to do work you have a compensatory rest period before you do anymore work and there has to be an 11h period between shifts. Essentially if you are on call from home and start your normal day at 9am the next day any call received after 10pm should entitle you to compensatory rest prior to your 9am start- starting at 11am, if disturbed for 2h overnight.

Its all a bit complicated- if your trust is thinking about taking your beds away they are being a bit short sighted. The European Parliament is currently revising the EWTD and it is likely that a new definition of resident oncall will be brought in to overturn SiMap sometime in 2006 allowing a return to 24h resident shifts in low intensity situations.

We're currently in the process of revising our on-call setup from partial shift to a multiple site on-call from home/ partial shift setup- providing cross cover between sites as overnight we're very quiet since our out of hours CPN team has been established.

hi drphalaksh

We currently have 'non residential' on calls. The way it works in our trust is that we can do the on calls from home if we wish to, and if you do get called out then you can take compensatory time off for those many hours during the next week. But I personally end up staying in the on-call room (we still have one), as I do not fancy driving 20 miles in the middle of the night by myself. In fact many of my colleagues also stay over, its easier that way.

We also have a liasion nurse cover between 5pm to 6am and they are supposed to be the first point of contact during those hours, so we get called only if they think someone needs to be hospitalised or there is a Section 136. our trust plans to soon have 24 hour nurse cover.

Of course we still get silly calls from nursing staff about zopiclone and paracetamols, but they do accept verbal prescription provided you do go and sign the next day.

Our trust is hoping that once the crisis intervention team is up and about, it would further reducae the working hours and they would be able to get the banding down...lets see how it progresses, will keep you posted.

I'm currently doing a non-resident on-call rota in the North East, and I have to say, it's fantastic. As has been mentioned earlier, if work intensity is low, and you don't live too far away, this is ideal. Much more preferable than doing a week of nights, where you'd be sat on your bum doing not much for most nights.