• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
niyi

Spr straightaway or staffgrade first?

22 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

im new to the forum and ive just passed my part 2 exams.As an overseas trained doctor without permanent residence status in the UK how easy (or difficult) is it for me to get a place on an Spr rotation leading to the award of a CCST as opposed to an FTTA. A friend advices me to do a staffgrade post for a few years till i can get indefinite leave status so as to improve my chances of getting on a CCST programme. Is an FTTA really that bad? id appreciate your suggestions.

no question about this, spr 8) 8) as staff grade is a dead end job. your license to stay will be extended. it will be more difficult to get on Spr programme later on.

Slightly different point of view from personal experience

1 If your aim is to get settled status yes it is an easy option to slip into staff grade jobs but remember you need to be on workpermit for 48months(4 years) if you need to get settled status in this competitive era it is a long time to be in non training post unless you make your job in a way that you are not missing out on training and research component to bolster your CV

2 If you are getting an SpR job just go for it because even if you are an overseas candidate still u can get into type1 post and anyway when you get appointed as consultant you can complete immigration formalities.

3 in the interim if you have completed 3yrs of training as SHO it is not bad idea to take up staff grade purely on monetary point of view because you will be on higher basic pay which in the future will be protected??? (i was told by reading previous posts in that topic)

I certainly did benefit from these I stayed as staff grade for 4yrs got my settled status and now on Type 1 training post .Please do not accept a generalised view of ppl about dead end post. It entirely depend on how you make your post worth a while

I managed to do regular audits,teaching and even completed a post graduate diploma in CBT and started a LLM degree in mental health law while i was in staff grade post(I certainly am boasting!!!! :lol:)

I would not get put off by arguements of people who decided to stay forever in staff grade posts out of choice unlike other specialities we still continue to have relatively better prospect of getting SpR jobs

Good Luck

hi niyi

1.your visa status will not come in way of getting CCST any point of time!!

2.As for PR related topic,if you are desperate for it why not try the HSMP-highly skilled migrant programme?which in fact can actually start right from first year SHO ship!!which makes one eligible within 4 years!!

more info look on the home office

site

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/schemes_and_programmes/hsmp.html?

ta

Thanx for all the good advice guys. its highly appreciated. Ive actually gone down the HSMP route and my application has just been approved so im about to apply for further leave to remain. Does anyone know whether the HSMP can be backdated to include the 4 years already spent at SHO level so that one is immediately eligible for permanent residence?

Unfortunately I don't really have any choice in the matter.  I have still not got an SpR job and I'm finishing my SHO rotation in February.  So I will have to take a staff grade job until I can get an SpR post.

On Merseyside being a staff grade usually didn't matter, several of our SpRs had done staff grade jobs, however in the past there were often more posts than applicants.  This has changed in the last 18 months.  But saying that one of the people who got an SpR post in the last round of interviews was a staff grade doctor.

I understand that the basic pay of SpRs cannot be less than the basic pay which they might have been getting previously as an SHO or SG.

In that case doesn't it make sense to work as a staff grade for sometime before applying for SpR's job rather than jump from SHO's job to SpR's?? ;) ;)

does anybody know whter an HSMP application is likely to be approved if one is without the membership,, i know theoritically thsi is possible but has anyone actually done it ,,??? ??? :( i despertaly need to know coz eveyt other plan i have seem to be linked to that anser , a bit overinclusice but thats the way the home office makes us feel

Hi Niyi,

I read that you applied for the HSMP. Could you give me some more info. I was told by the home office that I would have to return to my home country and then apply. Can one apply from here itself???did you go thru any immigration consultants or apply directly. Would be very grateful for more info on this.

hi

could someone tell me please if HSMP can be applied by somebody on dependent visa to actually change visa status to HSMP so that the stay would be counted towards residency status later.

ask  HSMP team directly at 01142591894, u have to try atleast 50 times to talk to them ! But if u persist, u will definitely be able to.

Hi guys,

No point calling the number, no one will ever get thru. Well to answer to some of your questions:

1. You can apply from either being on a PFT or as a dependent.

2. You need not go back to your home country to apply you can do it from here itself.

3. Usually takes about a week or two for them to reply to your intial application(you need not send passport).

4. But after approval when you apply for the visa it takes a very long time, so beware if you want to go out of the country because your passport will be stuck. It could take up to 4 months some times.

5. It is a simple procedure to apply the application and guidance runs you thru the points you needed to qualify.

6. Of course the membership is not a pre requisite for the application.

Hope this info helped.

BEST OF LUCK !

dear superman

i am sure there is nothing to stop dependents from applying in their own right but i guess with no points for finances (u gotta have earned >40000pounds approx if ur country of residence was UK in the last year to get 25points) it would be very difficult to conjure up the required 65 points... even if u get 5 for being less than 28yrs of age and another 10 for ur partner being a graduate...

waddya say???

Hi docsimmi,

ive not been on the site for a while so ive only just seen your query about HSMP. i agree with everything that SUPERMAN has said about the process. U dont need an immigration consultant, just download the application forms and guidance notes from the homeoffice website(www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk) .Completing the the forms is actually the easy part,more difficult is compiling all the backing documents and as a rule of thumb the more documentary evidence u can provide the smoother and faster your application.

i hope u find this helpful. :lol:

blimey!

amazing info people.i'm sure it shall be useful for everyone not just those who have addressed the issues.thanks for the info.

hello guys,

this may be a very pessimistic question but does anyone know anybody ,whose hsmp application was refused ???i am in doubt if hsmp is a better option against permit free traing /workpermit visa.

comments will be very much appreciated,thanks

i am afraid i know a couple of SHOs and 1 staff grade whose HSMP was refused :-/

the reson given was that the period of internship and permit free training cant be counted as work experience coz its not a job.... its training !

i found it amusing coz hundreds if not thousands of doctors have already been given HSMP on same criterion

i guess these guys were plain unlucky that there case went to some sadistic assh*le who decided to apply his own interpretation to the existing rules ::) ::) ::)

my personal feeling is that a HSMP rejection is more of an exception rather than a rule .... so worry not and apply asap.... 8) 8)