• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest soumyahegde

SpR interview

7 posts in this topic

???could anyone give me some tips for the SpR interview at oxford (gen adult and old age)

Hi somi,

I can't give you any tips specifically about Oxford but I was interviewed in another region for an SpR post in adult & old age a couple of weeks ago, and I got the job, so some of this might be relevant to your interview.

There were 5 on the interview panel - a mixture of adult and old age psychiatrists, College representatives and a personnel officer. All were very nice and put me at ease straight away.

they started off by asking me to talk about my CV and they asked about previous jobs, experience outside psychiatry (I used to be a GP and have worked overseas so they wanted to know more about that). This took quite a long time to go through as they kept asking questions but in a nice way!

they then asked what sort of research I would want to do. I had prepared for this, fortunately, and had thought of an area of interest although had not got as far as a protocol or anything like that!

next question was 'why dual training?' (I had said in my CV that I wanted to be an old age psychiatrist) they wanted to know why I wanted adult psych experience when my career plans were quite clear. Again this was not an unexpected question and they seemed OK with my reasons.

Next question was a PMP-style clinical problem which was OK in comparison to the ones I'd had in the recent clinical exam!

Then they asked if I had any questions for them and it was all over! lasted about 20-30 minutes altogether.

I had done some preparation for the interview, looked at NICE guidelines, revalidation, the role of an SpR, new consultant contract, recent important journal articles, new Mental Health Act, Incapacity Act etc - but none of that came up at all. All candidates were asked exactly the same questions at interview.

Good luck!

Dear Timtam,

What sort of research did you want to do?

and How did you respond to 'Why dual training?'

Cheers :)

Dear Timtam

Thank u very much for the tips.

keeping my fingers crossed at present.

and congratulations to you for getting the post..well done!!

Hi timtam,firstly congrats for getting the job...u have had a great end to 2004 by clearing ur exams and then 2005 has begun well with the Spr job.

i too have been shortlisted for a job in old age and i am planning to go in for dual training (general adult). i will be grateful if u cud tell us how did u respond to the 'why dual training' bit and where did u read up abt the consultant contract etc. also how elaborate was ur cv?

thanks

Hi somi, carefree, psychodoc179,

In response to 'why dual training?' I first said that I wanted to be an old age psychiatrist but was hoping to eventually get a consultant post in a DGH and so the adult experience would be very helpful for on call (I think in DGHs the consultants often cover both old age and adult)

One of the panel then said 'but you could do only old age SpR and still request up to a year in general adult, so you don't need to go for dual training, what other reason do you have?'

So I said that there are issues such as early-onset Alzheimers and other forms of dementia where the patients are not elderly but will have complex needs spanning both adult and old age psychiatry. I said the 'transition' ages of maybe 55-65 would be of particular interest to me. They were happy with that, lots of nodding around the table.

Research plans, I made some vague comments about the use of cholinesterase inhibitors in non-Alzheimers dementia.

Psychodoc179 - My CV isn't that elaborate. I've done no research at all. Only came back into SHO-world 18 months ago so missed out on the introduction of compulsory RITAs/audits. So have only ever done 1 audit, 6 years ago! Plus a patient satisfaction questionnaire in my last job. I have worked in a few other areas of medicine and have worked overseas so that takes up quite a lot of space on the CV and I am always asked about it in interviews.

I tried to make the CV as relevant to the job description as I could. This basically meant that I went through the job description point by point and made sure that I had mentioned every bit of it somewhere on my CV!

I took advice from a consultant medic friend, who has a fantastic CV with loads of research. She suggested listing all the courses, training days etc I have attended or plan to attend. This included simple stuff like breakaway training, CPR etc as well as conferences and meetings.

The consultant contract, can't to be honest remember where I read about it but I have a few friends who are consultants and they gave me unbiased opinions which were very helpful! I suppose you could always try the BMA website.

hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for ur splendid advice timtam...u have been a big help!

Wish u all the best for life as a SpR!!