Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hani

Taking part II 3rd time and in staff grade post

5 posts in this topic

I have just failed part II clinical for the 3rd time and the Royal College again reminded me that as I have failed twice or more times I am now required to remain or return to a training post. (I just didn't know the specific psychological intervention used in False Memory Syndrome in the pmps! Do I deserve this?)

Now I have been offered an extension on the SHO rotation but I have used all of my 4 years of permit free visa and I doubt the postgrad dean will recommend an externsion. I have also been offered several staff grade posts and there's a job I really like. The consultant is very supportive and is promising supervision and enough study/training time. I am however worried the Royal College will not let me take the exam if I do this. I have heard horror stories about people being told that they can take the exam then being denied this a few days before the exam. Has anyone been thru a similar experience or know more about this? Any info appreciated. Many thanks. Hani

Hani, I am so sorry you did not pass. if it is any consolation at all, I have heard numerous people say what an excellent psychiatrist you are. It is certainly the case that people have come up to the week before the exam only to be told they canot sit it. I would suggest that any possible glitches are (tried) to be sorted out 9 in writing!)well ahead of time eg ensuring the job is accredited with College. Staff grade post with a good consultant can be an excellent place to take the exam from. For myself, I was able to take on more challenging responsibilities and my confidence and belief that I could be a person who could pass this exam grew. I do think that for me , my absence of confidence was a huge thing.

Dear Hani,

I am so sorry to hear that you did not pass. I think that knowledge has got nothing to do with passing the exam. I failed the part-1 OSCE and I was very angry as I thought I had covered all the points and did not deserve to fail.Then one of my consultants said that in the clinicals it is more important how you do things rather than trying to cover all the points. I think that despite all the atempts by the college there is big subjective element in this exam and overall impression can be a deciding factor in the end. I am sure passing this exam is not an indicator of some one's ability to be a good psychiatrist. Best of luck for the future.

Hani ,

I know this is 2 weeks past your initial posting but I want to reply anyway . I took the exam as a staff grade after years out of training . The crux is for the college to acknowledge your staff post as suitable for exam purposes and you need to submit a detailed timetable and responsibilities . They made me redo a MRCPsych course and awarded my job an educational grading for 1 year and insisted on weekly supervision with my consultant .

It is possible but you must everything in writing . I had a scare where they told me that my educational approval had expired . I was livid with them and told them how could it be if I have only just put in my application for the exam . I had a letter from the exams sub-dean Prof. Dinesh Bugrah and I damn well couldnt find it ,anyway it all cooled down , and I wrote the exam and found the damn letter !

My worry is that you say your visa is expiring . This must be the most important thing to manage right now for you .

I wish you lots of luck .

It is possible , but get everything in black and white .

dear hani

if it is any cosolation i also had similar set of pmps and failed the exam..hope things will be better next time.sorry I dont know anything about the staffgrade post