Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slartibartfast

ESP and on calls

15 posts in this topic

Have any of you noticed that you can predict your on calls with a fair degree of reliability.. i.e. whether theyll be peaceful or a nirghtmare..

or am i the only wierdo..

or could I be type I erring.. :-/

In my case its learned helplessness because no matter what happens I have a shitty oncall

I cant decide if its going to be crappy or not. I do know that the last on call of the job is always fun no matter how busy it is...

Also when i decide i am going to use the time studying, i have learnt that the on call will be unexceptionally busy...hoever if i take the books with me and decide i wont study until i have answered one bleep , i could spend the entire evening on superego and not get a call...

Talking of ESP, what about superstition when on call -

One hospital i work in, i never get bleeped if i sit on the leather chair and use my laptop...if i get up and use the hospital computer --- KAboom!

then the other hospital - nice bed - but if i even think of lying down that's it

the worst week of nights I ever had would have been worse had i not suddenly realized that the bleep doesnt go off if to wear my shoes all the time, even if the bleep didnt go off in the last 3 hours....

and rememebr that if u have a sigle handover when u take the bleep , it will be less busy than if u got bleeped 5 mins after u took a handover with nothing carried over..

and the one rule which applies only to me and no one else - attending personal phone calls is a sure way to get bleeped

:)

Only if somebody uses the 'Q' word...

In my case its learned helplessness because no matter what happens I have a shitty oncall

I cant decide if its going to be crappy or not. I do know that the last on call of the job is always fun no matter how busy it is...

Also when i decide i am going to use the time studying, i have learnt that the on call will be unexceptionally busy...hoever if i take the books with me and decide i wont study until i have answered one bleep , i could spend the entire evening on superego and not get a call...

Talking of ESP, what about superstition when on call -

One hospital i work in, i never get bleeped if i sit on the leather chair and use my laptop...if i get up and use the hospital computer --- KAboom!

then the other hospital - nice bed - but if i even think of lying down that's it

the worst week of nights I ever had would have been worse had i not suddenly realized that the bleep doesnt go off if  to wear my shoes all the time, even if the bleep didnt go off in the last 3 hours....

and rememebr that if u have a sigle handover when u take the bleep , it will be less busy than if u got bleeped 5 mins after u took a handover with nothing carried over..

and the one rule which applies only to me and no one else - attending personal phone calls is a sure way to get bleeped

:)

LOL

Haha.. solodoc.. ever think of stand up comedy..

im lucky in that i have pretty peaceful on calls..

im on nights now.. and everyone else has had crappy nites.. however i have been sailing..

yeah.. so much so that im not thinking writing about it is bad luck.. im expecting a call at 2am tho'.. will see what happens with that..

but i guess a lot of it is cognition.. if you think youll have a crappy on call odds on you will.. if you think itll be peaceful.. then even if its busy youll say.. yea it was busy.. but fun n interesting..

im a wierdo in that i love doing nites.. i get me sleep in the nite and do stuff in the day..

the only stressful on calls ive had were when id worked at the MRI.. manchester.. whoa.. those were ker-razee...

self harmers at 1, 3, 5, and 7 am.. or 12, 2, 4, 6 and 8 am.. youd just finish assessing someone.. come back and cosy up in a warm bed and whammo.. and the referrals were also high threshold.. they were only referred if they had active intent..

i really wouldnt mind doing nites more often.. gets you off the day work.. time for study if you have exams.. gets you sorted on those jobs youve been postponing from donkeys years..

but ESP.. wierd.. i cant predict anything else to save my life.. but on calls.. thats a diff kettle of pd's..

I can predict how my oncall night is going to be ,based on where I park my car in hospital car park. There is a particular parking space where if you park you get rarely called , ( as it is only one space you may not get it every night)and there are other parking places associated with medium and worst oncalls.

Psychoanalytix

I do always get bleeped when attending personal phone calls.

I always go to on calls with an expectation of seeing 3 patients during nite time and my expections are fullfilled most of the time :lol:

so anything less than that is cool

cheers

i have noticed one thing so far...

if it rains in the evening and if it continues to rain on&off during the night, the on-call gets extremely cool..

i dont know what your experiences are with the weather..

I have similar experience but I have noticed people rushing into wards for admission when its cold and damp and depressing! Obviously they complain of being depressed which is fair enough!

When its warm and the sun is out no one wants to see ur face, oncalls are always cool in summers!

cheers

-I tend to get a bleep when i'm on the phone.

-two or three bleep in a row.

-bleep from the same ward just after i visited it for some other reason-they call me for some silly thing apologising that they forgot.

-i'm always bleeped when i either forget to take the bleep to work or when i misplace it.

-you can always predict some handovers from particular predecessors, they are champions in the handover art.

ohh! so people forget their bleeps or misplace them when they are on duty!!

this is news to me!

cheers

Oh yes,

Once i was completely unaware the battery went off in the bleep.

The other the medical staffing wrongly got me oncall in a town whereas i was oncall in an other town after early august.

i have noticed one thing so far...

if it rains in the evening and if it continues to rain on&off during the night, the on-call gets extremely cool..

i dont know what your experiences are with the weather..

#

I think our speciality more than others relies on patient co-operation and the attendance at OPD/A&E seems directly proportional to the 'averageness' of the weather i.e freezing/raining/lovely sunshine = no patients!

But seeing patients at 1,2,3am etc is still heavenly as we get an hour with each one - something our medical colleagues can only dream about (even if our assessments require a degree of predicting future behaviour!)