• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neeraj_Bajaj

Pay Banding Crisis Plz advise!!!

7 posts in this topic

Hi

I am one of the SHO in the south durham and teeside sho rotation in psychiatry.

Our contract is with the northern deanery and the lead trust is the south tyneside trust.(Complicated stuff!!??)

Now the problem is that the contract i signed had a no. of hospital written on it and with the pay banding for each post.I have recently cleared my Mrcpsych part1 and was promoted to the SUSHO.

The employer ie. is the northern deanery PIMD is refusing to pay us the band written in our contract saying that we have promoted to the susho and we are not going to get the banding.They say we may get a new contract which no one has got till now even people who joined the rotation before me.The hospitals have been rebanded to a lower band but i thought we were band protected.

I am a BMA member and have been reading their booklet for junior doctor and my contract there is a mention of a document terms and conditions of the servivce AL(MD) 1/2001 which has been referred in the contract and the bma book.

That is the link and i think it is usefull for anyone in any training job( Got it on the department of health website)

http://www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/01/09/91/04010991.pdf

pay attention to the paragragh 31 and 32 which tells about rebanding procedures.

One of the doctors complained to the BMA but nothing has happened till now.

I will like to know if anyone had such problems and how did they tackle it.

Looking forward to hearing from you all !!!

Hi

I work on the same scheme so probably can answer.

I think the guys at medical staffing are right. as per the northern deanery rules, when you move to senoir scheme, you are changing your job so have to sign a new contract which will reflect the current bandings in the region.

If what I am saying is correct, then they are not under any obligation to honour your previos contract with them as you are supposedly changing the job.

tjat sounds pretty awful :-/

i am so glad i didnt take up the Durham-Darlington rotation wen i was offered in 2003.... ;)

i guess sometimes the rules need to be followed inspirit, not in the word... I agree that there is no legal obligation for the trust to pay u your original salary, but then there is something called as a 'discretion'...

our trust has on its own discretion decided to reward our loyalty and protected our pays at band 2A even though all the posts that move in three different trusts as a part of rotation have been rebanded at 2B for newcomers.

get on the phone to the bma. its not like the journal is worth £300 a year. they are very friendly, have professional lawyers and more often than not sort things out without too much fuss.

Hi

Thanx Shrink, Doc purrs and 2

Well i am in the senior sho scheme now and i have not signed a new contract

so basically i am now working on the old contract that is from aug 2003 to aug 2006 and i have not been informd of the change in banding in writting which is a condition in my contract that employer is bound to inform me of any change in banding in writting.

very confusing

but medical staffing have change thier stance to We Are Considering it

PLz do keep writting

Go to the citizens advice bureau. It is free, they are more efficient than the BMA at resolving employment issues and they will give you leaflets to show your employers that will kick them into action.

A contract is a contract... no arguing about that... If your banding has changed then they should have agreed it with you before !!!!

Thanx all for sharing the views

The present situation is that i am in susho working under the same contract and my employer has not given me a new contract for thr susho part of the scheme and i was not informed of the change in banding in writting

so it is all messy and we are planning to write a letter to the Medical staffing asking them about these issues and also complain the BMA.

One of the SHO has already complained to the BMA and seems like the medical staffing said that it was only one sho who isunhappy with the contract.But it is time that we make a joint effort to set things right.