Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cyrus

SpR Interview Workshop

25 posts in this topic

I want to put my experience to good use, and help anyone trying to get on an SpR rotation, particulary in London where its becoming more and more competitive. It will look good on my CV  :lol:

Having had five interviews I have much first hand experince.  ;)

I also have a folder full of what you need to know to get through, probably its worth £££££

Anyone interested then let me know.

I work in Harrow, London.

I am interested in anything that will increase my chances of getting a post on the child rotation.

I am always rather wary of 'how to do..' courses for anything that is such an exact science as exams and interviews- I tend to have more faith in those that offer their own experience.. The B'ham clinical course was a good example of this as was the course that Chris Williams and Pete Trigwell ran many years ago on 'how to pass the MRCPsych'.

I think it is an excellent idea what you suggest particularly if you bought in a colleague from another subspeciality.

I am not sure if I have understood you correctly, but a free course would be a rare commodity in todays market.

I think they will ask similar types of questions in Child. I dont know anyone else willing to do such a workshop however because I recieved alot of free advice and support from colleagues I am feeling generous! I also hate useless expensive courses. I went to Hammersmith myself, it was OK but pricy.

For Child there is likely to be stuff around Children Act, every child matters, NSF etc but I guess the generic questions-' why do you want this job' etc wiil be similar. If I get my SpR post, I would be interested; might be worth asking Elvis too...

Amygdala ,

I recently had my first interview and got an NTN in general adult in London . In my experience the hardest part was actually getting shortlisted . I knew that I would get an offer once I got an interview .

The interview content was really predicatble and I made sure that i was very well prepared . I attended the Hammersmith course and yes it was expensive but it really got me in the mood and they have a great exercise in confidence building .

I would reccommend that you do anything to put you at an advantage because only the best get offered places . You cannot afford to be average .

I was asked about governance , NSF and schizophrenia , my research , controversial literature , incapacity act , Evidence based practice , teaching , dealing with conflict in teams .

thank you for your good wishes ,

I dont know who you are but you seem to have taken a great deal of interest in my professional development . I didnt know I had a fan club ! ::)

Hopefully you will get an SpR post soon kaliya !

8)have one already , will quit if pmetb shortens training ??? ???

What kind of confidence building exercise do they do at the Hammersmith course?

I am in the process of applying for SPR in Child Psych. I would indeed be very interested if anyone can provide me with information or material in relation to preparation for SPR interview.

CAPSAC, NSF, every child matters, NICE guidelines, Clinical Governance, Children Act, Laming enqiry (Victoria Climbie), your CV!!

cyrus, glad to see how altruistic people can be!

see you monday at work!

I was surprised at how nerve racking the whole interview was.

I had attended an interview skills course in London but am not sure if it was really of any use. Maybe the Hammersmith one was better. The one I went to seemed to have more relevance to other medical specialities. We were warned against the use of humour.

The most useful things I have done have been to understand clinical governance, to read my cv thoroughly and to listen to my friend and colleague who told me to be myself.

Obviously the thing to consider when you attend an interview course is that you will be with other people and that the organisers have to cater for everyone at the same time. So taht will mean that they can;t be speciality specific. Having said that you should know what subjects are specific to your own field and look them up.

I have attended several courses based on feedback from here and here are my conclusions:

Hammersmith: don;t bother - they have 80 people in their course so basically it's one big lecture. Very expensive at approx £220. I think these are just greedy consultants in it for the cash. They must be making £10 grand each day they run a course!

First course medical: 20 people but really dull delivery. Powerpoint never does it for me.

www.medical-interviews.co.uk: Dynamic course cos only 10 people and good chance to participate. Food not exceptional but it's the same problem with First Course since they use the same hotel. The cheapest at £150.

I went on the medical interviews course. I agree that it was good having small numbers but other than that, did not find it particularly useful.

hi cyrus,

thank u for your offer about getting a spr post. i am trying for gen.adult/old age, single/dual ccst. i would appreciate any help in the form of any material or advice regarding the above. hope to hear from u soon.

thanks

s.g :)

In the recent interview for child psychiatry spr I was asked

1. What is your greatest contribution towards psychiatry. ( to be honest I just did not know what to say because usually at least me am very modest and plus after so many failures before passing the examination eventually reduces your self esteem to the lowest ebb so what would you say.

2. Why do you want to do psychiatry and child psychiatry. What a stupid question. What do they think about me. Am I dumb and stupid to have so much time and effort and money in sitting MRCPsych examinations and finally passing them. Obviously that is enough to show my committment.

3. Question on clnical governance

4. One interesting case

5. Exciting new developments in child psychiatry

6. Multidisciplinary team and what conflicts can occur in MDT and how would you resolve them ( well basically i M not in position to resolve them - when consultants out of frustation cannot resolve them how can I plus SPR training is suppose to teach me how to resolve these issues practically.

7. Research - what are the problems in the research

8. Any psychological therapy you have done

So guys this is a new world very tough. It looks like sitting for MRCPsych Part 3.

Anyway amygdala thanks very much for your advice in regards to how to prepare for SPR for child psychiatry.

What teh hell is CAPSAC. Sorry for asking I am actually working in Republic of Ireland so I am not really aware of that.

Well I have made the list of NICE guidelines, have memorised NSF, every child matters and have collected a lot of material on clinical governance. Please do keep me informed if there are any other topics.

I would suggest Dr Gurpal if he could organize a course for SPRs - that would indeed be a great favour - it could be a North version of Hammersmith course.

Regards

childpsych

Amygdala what is this LAMING ENQUIRY and every child matters. I think every child matters is part of NSF - is it so.

Please do continue to guide me.

Regards

childpsych

The Laming enquiry is a report on the death of Victoria Climbie. The points most vigourously made were about the lack of communication between services and the failure of senoir people to be accountable. This report is easy but tragic reading. This was followed by the green paper, Every Child Matters which aims to look at some of these shortcomings. It particulary values inclusion for ALL children.

This book is quite useful -Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services: An Operational Handbook

Greg Richardson (Editor), Ian Partridge (Editor)

I remember Clinical Governance with CARROT:

Clinical Effectiveness (NICE,NSF)

Audit

Risk managemet

Research

Openness

Training

Thank you for your help. Actually because I am working in Republic of Ireland so I am not aware of Victoria Crimble and even other things like NICE, NSF, etc are never practiced in this country.

But now I would try to get the Operational Handbook and try to read it

Thanks for your help again

Childpsych

The Victoria Climbie case was really important- it was about a little girl from Nigeria whose parents sent her to the UK in the hope of her having better education etc. She came to live with her aunt and the aunt's partner. They systematically and horrendously abused her and noone did anything. Eventually she died. Lord Laming conducted the enquiry on her death.

http://www.victoria-climbie-inquiry.org.uk/

Childpsych and Amygdala1

U r stars!

Thanx for ur wonderful inputs! :) :)

I have read about Victoria report. It was the most horrifying story I have ever read about child abuse but what made me ore sad that so many people were in touch with this unfortunate girl and none of them picked up any clue or in fact cared about her.

Very heart rending tale.... I believe every doctor in which ever profession he or she is should read this report.

Child Psych

Thanks amygdala for all of your help