• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rob

SpR Interviews

30 posts in this topic

Just been for interview in London . This is the situation there ;

6 jobs ( yes 6) and 25 people interviewed , a ratio of 4:1 . This means that you had to score in the top quartile to be considered .

Two sets of panels ,10 minutes with each . Very to the point , no ice breaking questions .

Panel I:

1. experience of team work and resolving conflicts

2. ' the mainstay of treatment in Schizophrenia is drugs , comment on this ...'

2. tell me about the recent Incapacity Bill

Panel II:

1. discuss Clinical governance , wanted to know more about audit and risk assessment

2. recent research paper read and discuss your own research

3. discuss EBM and discuss Teaching , what methods do you know about ?

I didnt get a job offer .

I did not answer the question on incapacity act well enough and judging by the sour face on one interviewer ,I didnt describe how I deal with conflict adequately .

I think I scored about 7.5 -8 / 12 ie: 62-67% >:(

Dear Neopallium,

Thanx for sharing your experience with us.       It was not only informative but a bit frightening as well!  :o :o

Looks like it is going to be a lot tougher than I thought !  :'(

I had my spr interview recently in the northern deanery. They had 2 posts and shortlisted 14 candidates for that. I did not get the job.

Question were pretty standerd but what is frightening that spr posts are also going in the line of sho posts.

::)Dear Neo, should you not wait for the PMETB AND get a ccst based on experience and exams.

why bother with Spr. in few years the foundation people are going to come through and you will defnitely be a better consultant than some 0f these 28yr olds with acne. :-/ :-/

Thanks for replying guys .

Funny , I was just talking to a colleague about the PMETB . I liked the review in the Bulletin about routes to consultancy . Problem with the PMETB is that there are so many unknowns and you will have to compete openly with others for jobs . They are talking about generating 'junior consultants' who will still need supervision rather than mentorship .

Actually ,every tale has a good ending .... I was finally offered an NTN at Barts and Royal London . I was totally gobsmacked considering the competition .

Thanks Psycho,

it is gradually sinking in . All I can say is that never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine how difficult this would be .

I thought after exams it would be clear sailing . Apparently not ! I was at a clear disadvantage being a staff grade doctor . I must say that my career did stagnate for some years and as a result my CV suffered . So my advice to anyone out there in a similar situation , research and audit are the sole criteria for shortlisting and that is fact .

Secondly if you are having problems getting shortlisted ask your RCPsych representative ( or anyone involved in regular shortlistings) to look over your application form . They often have very good ideas that you have not thought of .

thanks for the golden tips neo.can u tell me how u answered the 'teaching 'question - i have a SpR interview coming up in ten days time..so it shud be a big help!

and chill out over the weekend!

just attended a LD spr interview. 2 posts and 9 candidated interviewed. It is getting more and more difficult .

Well done Neopallium, you deserve this excellent news after all your hard work! good luck in SpR-world!

Well done Neopallium!

You deserve it!

Lots of luck in your new job!

Thanks guys for all your good wishes . I really appreciate it .

This reply is also specifically for psycho who asked me about how I answered the Q on teaching .

Well this is what I said , bear in mind that it was tagged onto the end of the Q on EBM so it was only a mini Q .

' I have taught to medical and non-medical professionals during my BSc (Hons) microbiology as well as to nursing staff about clinical subjects . I have taught in small groups , as well as in larger groups as well as one to one . I have used audiovisual as well as in vivo as well as text book techniques . I have not done a special teaching course but I intend to do this in my SpR training and I intend to specifically enhance my teaching of clinical material . '

They wanted to know what i would like to learn from this course

That was my answer psycho . Good luck ,it was really very predicatble only the incapacity bill threw me .

well done neopallium,the going has got tougher and audit and research seems to be the crux. was this an adult psychiatry post? i am in a staff grade permanent post, cleared exam this time, and it is reassuring that despite your being in a staff grade post u did make it. i think i remember u mentioning in an earlier post that u had some research and audit work to your credit. any specific advise in that direction?well done again!!!

Venus,

it was a general adult job . It terms of audit , the course coordinators on our scheme ( one person is very well known academically ) told me in no mean terms that audit is the sole criterion for shortlisting .

I spent most of the past year working on an audit project which is now ready for submitting for publication .

It was hard going .

Trouble is, I've always thought that everyone has audits. I don't think audit doesn't separate you from the crowd.

If isn't the opportunity to hobnob with the research big-wigs, it is worth doing independent research or writing some letters and short articles off your own bat. Just separates you from the other candidates. Psychiatric Bulletin is especially open to new ideas. I wrote one at Xmas and it dominated almost all of my SpR interview.

Just a thought.

Elvis ;)

apparently not everyone has published audit .

Interviews are standardised so that everyone gets asked the same question , I wonder how yours was different?

hey neo thanks for your answer! much appreciated!!

i have an SpR interview on Valentine's Day..so am hoping lady love does the trick for me!!

Hi Neo,

The interview went splendidly well and i have got a SpR job in Old Age Psychiatry.

Standard stuff asked by a big panel of 9 in all! questions started with my CV, importance of good record keeping and methods to improve record keeping, research interests and future research plans, clinical governance, service provision for the elderly LD, modernising medical careers and my views on that, recent research paper in old age, audits that i had carried out....

the panel was quite good and did their best to put me at ease.

am hoping to start the new job in April!!

It really has been some year..last year at this time i was getting ready to reappear for my Part I after having failed on my first attempt and then i did part II in Autumn and now have a SpR job. all this is yet to sink in!!

it would not have been possible without the support, encouragement and motivation from fellow forum members!!

thanks everyone

Well done psychodoc, all the good things seem to be happening at once for you!

All the very best of luck in your new job.

Great news...congratulations all u guys that have got onto the SPR rotns in adult/old age psych....any feedback on psychotherapy spr interviews?

im considering going down that route and would appreciate any advice...

Anyone else can give me some ideas about interviews for SPR in child psychiatry.

Can I ask why the SPR posts have suddenly shrunk in last six months. AFter all the pass rate has not increased for MRCPsych Part II then what is the reason that SPR has become so competitive.

Anyone else can give me some ideas about interviews for SPR in child psychiatry.

Can I ask why the SPR posts have suddenly shrunk in last six months. AFter all the pass rate has not increased for MRCPsych Part II then what is the reason that SPR has become so competitive.