• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest jstu

old age liason psychiatry

6 posts in this topic

Want to think ahead of a suitable SpR rotation that will suit my needs.Very interested in Old Age Liaison ;)

Just wonder which rotations have these type of posts in the UK??

Any ideas guys?

Hi jstu,

I work in the north west deanery.

I'm not sure about posts specifically for old age liason but I have been actively encouraged to do liason for at least one of my special interest sessions. I'm joining an old age medical ward round once a week (a friend's a consultant geriatrician and was very keen to have a psychiatrist tagging along!) and I have to say it's been mutually very beneficial so far. The nursing staff and the pharmacist who attend the rounds have also been extremely helpful.

Website for the north west SpR rotation is

www.psychiatrynorthwest.co.uk

I don't know about old age liaison, but Leeds has always been strong on Liaison with Alan House etc

Thanks :lol: Some ideas there....plus doing a Diploma in geriatric medicine(DGM), be a proper CBT person etc. These should fill up my future special interest and research days!!

Im at St Thomas' on Guys rotation. I do mainly liaison and we could have upto 5 new referals per week. They are considering developing a separate liaison service.

I've never heard of a stand-alone old age liaison post. Old age liaison generally comes under Old age psychiatry or for emergency cases, liaison psychiatry.

If you want to be a psychogeriatrician you could spend one year doing liaison psychiatry instead of general adult psychiatry which is what most old age psychiatrists tend to do. Or you could opt for dual accreditation with adult psychiatry. Many old age psych SpRs do a special interest in geriatrics as mentioned above and are usually very welcome by the medics, a friend of mine did his in Neurology.

These training opportunities are available just about everywhere but the big city rotations like the ones in London are more likely to have a stand-alone adult liaison post.