• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest marlboro

when to call

5 posts in this topic

When applying for SpR posts ,when do you call the trainer/scheme organiser ....'interested candidates....for further info 'etc. ?Is it before or after short listing takes place? Where applicants apply to a deanery does the person you call have access to your written application before shortlisting? I have lots more queries in the same vein ......stop encouraging me. Thanks for some ideas.

I contacted people before shortlisting- I think it shows that you are keen and motivated

Agree with Amygdala.

It is better to meet the Programme Director/Lead Clinician before the short-listing, more so if you are from ' outside '  the rotation as the consultants don't know you.

I would also recommed meeting with some other senior consultants in the rotation as well.

In some places it is difficult to get short-listed if you don't go for an informal visit.

I am not sure about the short-listing process, i.e whether if only the people on the interview panel have your application or others might also be involved in the short-listing process and have your application.

Thank you both amygdala 1 and Governer. I feel quite nervous about the prospect and whatever I think of to ask about seems silly and a 'going through the motions' exercise which might reduce my chances rather than improve them. Armed with your responses I now know when to act at least. M.

I would also recommed meeting with some other senior consultants in the rotation as well.

This will be a total waste of time so I won't recommend it. The other consultants in the trust have no say whatseover in who gets in so there's nothing to gain from seeing them.

I am not sure about the short-listing process, i.e whether if only the people on the interview panel have your application or others might also be involved in the short-listing process and have your application.

The shortlisting is done by the programme directors (and their deputies) They also sit in on the interviews so yes, it's only the people on the interview panel who have your application. I've been indirectly involved in shortlisting and it's bloody hard work as most of the CVs are much of a muchness, so it's the people with the 'desirable' qualities who have an advantage. If you are on the relevant SHO rotation already you have a small advantage as your programme director is likely to know you, but as an outsider once you're shortlisted just prepare for the interview like it's an exam, as everyone becomes 'equal' once the shortlisting is done and dusted.