• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
amritash

Lecturer post advice needed...

3 posts in this topic

Hi. I have just cleared my Part 2 exam and am planning to apply for a lecturer post. I have been given mixed messages re: how these differ from regular SpR posts (aside from the extra research time etc).

Ive heard of some unis offering a 3 year training and others 4 years...whats the rationale behind this? Is this negotiable?

Is one paid at the same pay scale as an SpR?

What options does one have after the CCST (Sr Lecturer or Consultant)?

I woiuld be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this.

Generally, as a Lecturer, you would be doing 5-6 sessions of research/teaching and 4-5 sessions of clinical work each week. You would be expected to register for a research degree with the University: MPhil, MD or PhD.

3 years is the normal length of a Lecturer contract. Not sure of the rationale of offering 4 years apart from providing more time to finish your degree. I doubt that it would be negotiable.

The pay scale is the same as an SpR.

Interview panels would be looking for Doctors committed to a career in academic medicine so they would want to hear that you'd be looking for a Senior Lecturer post after obtaining your CCST. The pay for Senior Lecturers and Consultants is the same.

Ty Jim.... that was helpful. Went back and did a little digging in the royal college handbook and it is indeed 3 years to the CCST if one does 5 or more clinical sessions per week.

cheers