• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
niyi

Are agency locums a bad idea?

6 posts in this topic

Hiya,

Im a locum staffgrade still searching for that elusive Spr post. Ive been doing agency locums and i dont know whether this will have a negative effect on my career.Is it better to do NHS locums or just to get a substantive staffgrade post? Id appreciate any thoughts ???

Mmm, difficult one to answer. On one hand doing agency locums gives you a little bit of extra money and a varied and wide degree of experience (as you'll work in different hospitals in different parts of the country), but you'll not have the benefit of a stable job, continuity of NHS service, pay protection if you go into a substantive staff grade post ( I hear that interview panels now do not tend to shortlist candiadates who have gone on to do staff grade posts as they can be very expensive for the employing trusts) etc. I think that you can use the experience gained doing locums to your advantage during interview.

I don't think doing locums is a problem providing it's for short periods

What exactly is the defination of short period?

many thanks.

From what I hear, 6 - 12 months is acceptable as it does take some time for NTNs to be available.

Also... how do they get our details? I have never registered myself with any locum agency and over the past week, I received letters from 2 different agencies initially congratulating me on passing the MRCPsych before offering their services inviting me to join the fold.

I got the first SpR post that i applied for on passing pt II; I had been in a staff grade post for the previous two years. The staff grade post had begun as an agency locum and gone on to be a substantive post after 1 year. I had increments to reflect Section 12 training and passing my part II. I had no sense that this had any effect on the choice as to whether to appoint me. Prior to my interview I visited a number of Consultants on the Rotation and did lots of preparatory reading.