• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carefree

Re: encouragement needed

19 posts in this topic

Hi docsimmi

I had also applied for the SpR job in London (Gen Adult).

Recently, I contacted them through Email and was informed that they were going to shortlist that day.

How do u know u have not been shortlisted?

Did u receive a letter?

(Even I passed my Membership exams in the first attempt! Not that it makes us any better than candidates who didn't! I strongly believe that luck plays a large part in these exams!)

To be honest I am quite frightened by ur post. :-/ :-/ :-/ I mean if people like u, with research experience, publications, teaching exp, audit and psychotherapy experience r not shortlisted, then what r the chances for candidates like me who have very little teaching experience and no publications!!! :'( :-/

There is no need to feel disheartened at all. If u have not been shortlisted then it is their loss! :-*

So - cheer up! ;)

I think it is important to keep applying  and hoping....!!

I am sure we will succeed!

:);):)

hi carefree,

i had called them up today and got the information about shortlisting. all the best

Hi,

I was quite disheartened myself that I was not shortlisted for the london SpR jobs..but now I don't feel so bad...because if you did not get it with all the experience you have ...I really can't complain! :-X

I agree that passing the exam first time is no big deal to any one else other than the person themselves.. i cleared it first attempt this time too...anyway atleast we don't have to pay £570 again and go through all that stress again! ;)

I am curious as well to know who got short listed and what I need to do further enhance my chances for shrt listing?

I have done 3 years training as an SHO...with specialities like EMI, Child and drug and alcohol...I have done a few audits.. I am doing an MSc in psychiatry and am about to start a research project for my dissertation...I am about to send a case report for publishing...hopefully it will be accepted...I have some teaching experience...limited though...

Can anyone who got shortlisted tell me about what else I need to do? It will be much appreciated. :)

Hi Dr D, you are doing a great job, I must say. I suppose it must be the publications and research that might make a difference, though I suppose if someone who has got shortlisted gives us feedback, that might help. The london deanery does not give feedback as they said they have too many applications to give individual feedback. Where are you doing the MSc from?

All the best.

I suspect with the large number of applicants these days, it is quite difficult to decide who should get shortlisted and who should not. I believe there is some element of luck in the process. I got shortlisted for both LD and Gen Adult rotations at Cambridge in December last year. I had passed both Part 1 & 2 at first attempt. I attended both interviews and got both jobs. However, I do not think that I had as much experience or research published work like some of you have described.

I think with the current competition (47 applications for 3 posts in Cambridge), one should read the guidance notes very well and concentrate on the person specification. I would encourage you to aim for the desirable attributes as these will give you higher points than the essential requirements as you must have these in the first place in order to apply. Typing your application in bullet form style is also helpful as the shortlisting panel can easily read your application. Moreover, put in everything that you have done no matter how insignificant you might think that it is! We all have teaching experience though it might be on an informal basis teaching our colleagues doing the part1, teaching nursing students during psychiatric assessments etc.

Hope you find this useful! :-*

Hi docsimmi & DrD

I have not even bothered to call them as the application form mentioned that ' if you don't hear from us within 3 weeks - it means u have not been shortlisted'!

Ok - I have accepted the fact that I have not been shortlisted! So what? Surprisingly I am not disheartened at all. I think it is all part of the game?

As Roger Anderson said, 'Some days you're the pigeon; some days you're the statue.' :-*

However I agree with you that we need to know what else can we do to further enhance our chances for shortlisting? :-/ :-/

Any contribution from shortlisted candidates would be greatly appreciated :);):)

Cheers :) :-*

Thanx for ur input Dede!

Very valuable indeed!

:);):)

I've heard that they go through the applications with a mark sheet - scoring 0, 1 or 2 for various attributes out of a total of around 30 points. research experience no matter how good would only get you 2 points. Other vague things are marked like 'breadth of experience' including outside of medicine and so on. Theres not much more to it than is on the person spec and application form - advice I got was to read it very carefully and try to fill in any gaps in person spec before interview. (not that I've applied so couldn't tell you if the advice is helpful!). There's also a good article in the bulletin by an SpR on interviews - definitely worth reading. Good luck

http://pb.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/28/11/421

Thanx kc for ur input! :)

The article is a real gem! ;)

:-*

Hi everyone, I got shortlisted for North London general adult and NW London Forensic this time round. I don't have any research experience or publications I have done a LAT Spr post but otherwise just the usual SHO stuff.

This time last year (when I got my LAT post) I was shortlisted for South London forensic and NE london forensic. In January (whilst doind my LAT)I got shortlisted for South London again but was unsucessful then didn't get shortlisted for NE london v. Bizarre!

Best advice I had was to get hold of the application form from someone who was successful at interview, it was amazing the amount of stuff I hadn't thought to mention. e.g. If your doing an MSc/ attend an academic programme even if you haven't got personal experience of something you've probably been taught about it so mention that.

Hope thats helpful :)

Thanx Drkim and Congrats! :)

Well done!!! ;)

Could u elaborate a little more on the the stuff u had  not thought of/mentioned in the form?

::):o ::)

Following phrases/ points helped me

1. I have had specific training in the working of the mental health act and in associated policy and ethical issues as part of the MSc/ membership course

2.Describing therapies I have had formal training in then saying I have also had tuition in a variety of other modalities as part of the MSc/ membership course

3.When describing audits use the terms from the audit cycle and make a point of the audits where you completed the whole cycle yourself.

4.Everyone has done some sort of teaching but the following phrase makes you sound like you know what you're talking about- I have experience of didactic and problem based teaching including the use of videotaped patient interviews.

5. If the ask about a subspeciality that you didn't cover in your SHO rotation say that you have had exposure to this subspeciality during your on call work and also tuition in the major clinical issues as part of your MSc/ membership course.

6. An example of initiative can be v. simple e.g. how did you manage a distressed patient who turned up unexpectedly at outpatients

7. I haven't made any presentations/posters at conferences so just listed all the presentations I had made at the local academic meeting.

8. Involvement with the college can be just a minor thing e.g. did you put your views across when they visited your SHO scheme

9. I haven't done any research yet but have completed a literature search and designed a study protocol for the final year of my MSc and I also said I have had tuition in the design of study protocols and good research practice. Finally I went on to decsribe the research topics I want to pursue as a Spr

10. If they ask you to comment on an article/policy etc make sure you actually express a clear and concise view with reasoning rather than just wittering. It can also be helpful to ask others what their opinion is too.

11. Personally the first time I filled the form in I thought they were asking really obvious things e.g. If I didn't have knowledge of psychopharmacology how would I have passed MRCPsych! I was advised to treat the short list panel as if the had no knowledge and really needed everything spelled out to them.

12. Everyone has some transcultural experience either with patients/ collegues/ outside work if you've had any sort of diversity training mention this as well.

Finally just go through the person specification with a fine toothcomb and try and cover everything emphasising any of the desirable points.

Oh and keep trying my own experience leads me to believe it's a bit of a lottery and I'm sure we'll all get there in the end. :)

Thanx drkim - wise words indeed!

The points look so obvious now...and needless to say I did not mention a lot of points which I could/should have!!! :-/

:-* :);)

I've now found my self in the same boat seemingly as many others. Not shortlisted for Yorkshire Gen Adult SpR interviews. Just past part 2 - done both exams first time and about to complete 3 years of SHO. I thought my application was pretty good apart from no publications. I'm awaiting feedback - could be a long wait! I guess they may go for people with more experience and been SHOs longer. Oh well, probably get paid better staying on as SHO for bit longer!

dear freinds,would like to share something, i have aplplied for 2 spr posts so farand shortlisted for both one in scotland. I find interview questions so vague and I waffle all the time.i have couple of publications but quite a few national & international publications and posters. But i find the damn interview so vague.I was shortlisted for neuropsych in edinburgh and again waffled. I find it really frustating.I dont think I will get the job but if I do I have somethin very important  re interview i would contribute to his site soon. only if successful. if I dont get the job i would just consider their loss :-/

The best advice anyone has ever given me when it comes to interviews is to be enthusiastic. I believe that has helped me to get on to the SHO and more recently the SpR rotation. Besides all the work. experience, exams, research etc stuff, I believe members of the panel are also assessing whether they can / want to work with you. Being friendly and enthusiastic would help in this area. Good luck in the job hunting.

Hi docsimmi,

Sorry it's been a long time since you asked me the question - but the answer is: I am doing my MSc in psychiatry from the Cardiff University. I have just one more year to go. It is a 4 year part time course. i have finished all the exams just need to do a bit of research and submit a dissertation.

And....Drkim..thank you for your advice. ;)

I think that SH's advice ie excellent. I am convinced it helped me secure my Spr post. It is important that this enthusiasm is genuine and not feigned tho'!!

I also used a little gentle humour in my interview (despite being advised not to on an interview skill course); the panel all smiled or chuckled and it seemed ok. This was not a deliberate plan; it happened to come up when I was asked about research plans- I commented that I had had a research plan until I had gone to a research skills course the previous week where I discovered that I was in fact not Micheal Rutter and without his experience or funding, my project was alittle ambitious! I then went on to consider what I had subsequently thought about directions that I might take.

After the interview I spent a nerve racking 2 hrs feeling I had been too light hearted (as I did after the essay paper!) but returned to be told there had been a unanimous decision to appoint me and that they had been impressed by my enthusiasm.