Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest nfchanjudy

SpR interview

7 posts in this topic

Could anyone give advice for SpR interviews for child & adolescent psychiatry?

What would be the likely questions panels asked?

I was asked about ideas for research, my strengths and weaknesses, about a time when I had a conflict with the team and how I resolved it, I think I was also asked one slightly PMP-ish sort of question- I cant remember the rest!

I had read things like Laming report, Children act, Every Child Matters, NSF, I had visited Consultants who were part of the rotation.

All the best!

Thank you very much, amygdala!

How could I answer wisely if I have not developed any reserach topics yet? ???

Could you share some of your experiences from your job for suggested 'good' answers?

Thanks.

Even if you don't know what research you want to do, at least try to mention what is your area of interest is.They might ask you why.It will be helpful to read about it and any recent published research articles about it.

If you look in some of the previous threads about SpR interviews, you will find more information about the types of questions asked.I think the most recent one was by childpsych.

It concerns me a little to see people looking for model answers to questions as I really think you will end up with perfect but souless presentations at interview. I think that this is not what most interview panels are looking for. Particularly in child psychiatry it will be taken as read that you will have only limited experience in this field. You would be expected to have an idea of the important documents around and a PASSION for the subject. I would rather appoint someone who was a bit ragged around the edges as long as they were massivley enthusiastic, bright, practical, liked kids than the stepford interview candidate.

This is just my own opinion based on my own interview experience and feedback that I recieved. Obviously if you have a candidate with the intellectual and personal qualities as well as a string of publications and audits they will stand out. I also think a well put together cv is very important. No false modesty but no arrogance either!!!!

Yeah I agree. If you have 10 people applying for the same post and they all regurgitate the same stuff you will want to recruit the one who is different and more personal.

I got my SpR job by practicing with friends and consultants. I also did a one-to-one session with iscmedical (www.iscmedical.co.uk) and that was a great help to obtain specific feedback on some of the questions that really bugged me. I mean I know what to say for research, stress and all that stuff but it came to verbalising it in the way that actually made it interesting I was stuck. SO that helped a lot