Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest drbaldwin

Depressed!!!!!!!!

33 posts in this topic

I have recently joined to this forum. I am an F2 SHO in medical rotation and I want to get a SHO Psychiatry job before August. I applied to a couple of rotations and didn't get shortlisted. I did 2 two-weekly attachments in Psychiatry during my annual leave. I don't know what else I can do. I started to think that I will never go to a rotation. If this is the case I want to know If I have a chance to get a 6 months locum or trust grade posts. I live in Liverpool and apart from London I can work everywhere. Please share your experience with me. :'(

I forgot to say I am an overseas doctor. :'(

I work in london and it's been a while since I had any involvement at sho level. Is there any way that you can get feedback on why your application was not successful? could you ask a consultant where you did your 2 wk.stint for advice or to look at your c.v. maybe you could consider going to some general psychiatric conferences to display your interest in the field.M

u said u cld work anywhere....

ave u considered ireland?my situation was kinda similar to urs @ the beginning  ....i'm just curious-y d'you want 2 leave medicine?..interest or frustration?

I would say keep applying. If you think of it there is a pool of people out there who want a psych rotation, every time one is advertised the pool gets a bit smaller. Apply for everything! (I think N Wales closing date is coming up), and remember nearer the time, locums will come up. &nbsp:lol:on't judge everything on 2 applications. You never really know how many posts are available in a rotation. I got turned down for one, but then found there were only 3 posts available.

Get someone to look at your cv/ check your application forms too. Even if it's your medical consultant.

Out of curiosity which rotations did you apply for?

Some are more competitive than others.

A lot of overseas doctors get onto psych rotations, and you have NHS experience which can only be an advantage, so don't assume there is no hope when you've only applied for 2 rotations!

I don't even remember how many posts I applied for. Leeds, Newscastle, somewhere in Scotland, last one was Mersey Deanery.

I was very good at medical specialities. I scored 8 out of 9 on my last 2 rotations RITA assessment. One of my references once told me that he had never given a better reference to someone in his 20 year career. I even started to think that I could stay in medicine. Everything changed after one interview. I only applied for 1 job in medicine earlier this year. May be because I was working in the same hospital. My interview was very good. Next day I found out that I didn't get the job. I asked for a feedback. Consultant on my interview panel basically told me that I was very good in the interview and scored very well on the scoring sheet. Just because I haven't passed my MRCP and hasn't got a publication they couldn't offer me a job. What about other qualities I asked. Like communication skills, interaction with patients ,working as a part of a team, references. He said they could only check your references when you got the job. They didn't even look into my RITA which showed everything I did in whole.

I am really disappointed. Make things worse ,he even told me that ' you are a bit old. why don't you choose a easier career for yourself'' At that moment I gave up medicine

Thanks everyone for your support. I will be allright. I will keep applying for every PSy job, Mars SHO rotation, Neptun Trust Grade SHO etc. There are lots of jobs out there. I am sure one day they will be desperate to find someone like me. Cheers :)

Hi Drbaldwin,

I know you want to join a rotation,but you could also try locum [psychiatry] if you have good with the trust especially if it is long locum job you could get short listed for interview and that could be your luck!

But if you still have your medical job,carry on and keep applying till you get a rotation.

Good Luck!

Rosie

How old are you drbaldwin??????????????? :-/

Hi, was interested in your plight. So why do you actually want to do psychiatry? Has someone told you it is an 'easy option'? Because it really isn't - better quality of life, but can be just as stressful in a different way. Are you sure you are not just running away from Medicine? Keep trying. And good luck!

I am 37 years old and have a 10-year-old son with Asperger's Syndrome. This is one of the main reasons for why I want to be a psychiatrist. He is doing extremely well. I want to be a child and adolescent psychiatrist to help the others with similar problems.

I will try every option to find a job in Psychiatry.

Drbalwin , good luck man. Don’t loose your hope keep applying. (I know many people might have told you the same thing-but,it is true).I do not believe in god but I will pray for you. Good luck. I am sure I will meet you again on this forum as psychi trainee. (I have applied for five times for the same rotation before getting short listed and got the job)

BTW: I heard that there are 2 posts and 20 people got short listed this time. Best thing is keep in touch with medical staffing some time there will be some last min jobs. They do not usually advertise those posts, so keep in touch with them. Keep calling them regularly. :);) cheers,

Thanks a million Rao for the encouragement.

hi there

i completely agree with RAO!!

a box of choclates or a bottle of wine never goes amiss with the medical staffing... especially in a hospital where u have worked in some other capacity (locum, substantive SHO medicine etc)...

keep trying.... persistence pays.....

having said that... have u considered GP VTS???

ur medicine experience and ur age will both be an asset rather than a liability when u apply for GP training...

and it will give u a better chance to do something useful for the children in the community... 'give something back ' model works very well if u are in primary care..

hiya drbaldwin,

I think you are in a similar situation I was last year. My situation was actually more worse than your's. I was in orthopaedics and it was near to impossible to get into psychiatry.I was always interested in psychiatry and had come to this country to do psychiatry but unfortunately I had to take up ortho as I had to stay in this country and earn some money as well.

I did clinical attachments for about 8 months before I got a locum in psychiatry and after a lot of struggle I have now got a decent 18 month rotation in psychiatry and am happy.

so I think your situation is not as worse and u shld keep trying....i applied for atleast 200 jobs before I got this job.

Hope this will give u some courage n confidence

cheers n best of luck!

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!I was a bit lost when I sent my first message. Now feeling much better.

[dont feel bad, i read ur story about medicine, that was abit dramatical! If you left medicine just coz of one setback and coz smone said smthing stupid to you then I would say that you need to be stronger, get out of your self pity mode!! sorry if I offended you.

Hello Dr Baldwin,

let me share what I feel about getting into rotation. the first step is getting shortlisted and then succeding in interview.

from your post I see that you have nt been shortlisted yet. So I strongly suggest you to look into u r CV and make some radical changes, get professional help if possible( though expensive ,it often works , and you can just simply fill ur cv in application packs).

once you start getting shortlisted then its up to how u perform in interviewand your presentations that will matter .

Couple of years ago I tried desperately to get into rotation while I am in my first 6 month job but did nt get shortlisted even for one. So I got a professional to redesign my cv for around 400 quid and then during next six months I was shortlisted for every 1 in 2 rotations I applied.

then it took me 3 unsuccesful interviews to get into my present rotation.

so keep trying and I wish you all the best

I wouldn't spend £400 getting my CV 'professionally designed.' If the content isn't up to snuff then it doesn't matter how nice it looks. Save your money. There are some good articles on the BMJ archives about preparing your CV.

Unfortunately, your age is likely to be a factor in obtaining a shortlisting. In a CV, a selecton panel will be looking for evidence of decisiveness and clear career planning,  both of which are difficult to convey if you've spent a long time working in a different clinical speciality. Additionally, if you've attempted and failed the MRCP then this might lead to the panel concluding that you're trying Psychiatry because you couldn't pass the exams to proceed in Medicine. Understandably, Psychiatrists don't like seeing their speciality being viewed as a refuge for failed medics. It is therefore important that your CV clearly answers two key questions: Why do you want to do Psychiatry? Why Now?

If you're still working in Medicine, it may be worthwhile to speak to the liasion psychiatrists in your hospital to see if there are any audits or research projects that you could become involved with. That would show dedicaton and be a good boost for your CV.

Good luck!

don't give up mate!

i know many of my friends did struggle initially but then things have improved. being an overseas doctor slightly hampers things as interviewers are wary of whats being taught in 3rd world countries (like mine!)

and with the number of people turning up for Plab, things are difficult but get throught his initial phase and it will be better,don't give up! cheers

come on man.. itz just a matter of time.. every overseas doc knows that.. keep applying and one fine morning you will have it.. no worries..! :)

I feel by the time this topic is read 1000th time, you would have a job :)

cheers!

good luck ,

i think its just the matter of time,

try attending all the psych teaching programmes at ur hospital if possible that wat u might get to know da tutors and da guyz who will giv u jobs, and hope for the best .

me too am getting depressed becoz,

got my part2,s in sept n prep not going very well,

and people who hav passed r struggling to get SPR jobs,

i know 3 people who passd ther examz n been applying for long time.

and the worst thing is various trusts across the country get locum consultants from oversea,s. instead they should create more training posts and more of homegrown psychiatrists.

well at least datz wat i think!