Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
veggybutcher

Psychotherapy case - How to write it up

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

Does anyone know how to write up their psychotherapy cases? Is there a well known format to accomplish this? If not can some genius suggest one? I need to write up long cases, short cases and couple therapy.

Thanks in advance

Are you referring to the notes to be written directly after each session, or on completion of all sessions?

I have only done one case, but my understanding is that after each session it's pretty much the content of that session, which may include your counter-transference feelings.

On completion of all sessions for my psychotherapy case, what I did was write up a psychodynamic formulation, with the presenting problems, the predisposing, precipitating and perpetuating factors, a summary of the themes explored during the sessions, what the patient felt they had achieved from the sessions and my objective assessment. +/- further recommendations.

Justme    

I was asking about writing up on completion of a case. ie for a long case of 35 sessions.

thanks to anyone offering more on this topic.

from my experience what i did was to write a summary after each session and attach the clients homework, and after the sessions had ended , i wrote a summary of d progress attained and also included the views of the benefit the client said got from the therapy sessions

I guess it mainly depends on local practise. Its worth getting hold of a few from your predecessors or colleagues -i'm sure your supervisor may be able to help.

Aside from that then then a general summary of the case/therapy is the most important thing. Usually the leter to the GP is quite cursory; 1-3 paras on what happend, learnt, attendance, ending, brief formulation and recommendations for the future. The longer one (if necessary) is more for the notes/departmental record and usually depends upon the modality. e.g. CBT record of sessions (how many, general theme to them, eg of successful homework or something they couldnt do/found difficult), disease status at the start and end of therapy and further recommendation for therapy, etc.

so about wot justme says!! ;)