Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cyclothymic

advice apprecaited , how to use mrcpsych in NZ and

6 posts in this topic

has anybody had a working experince in new zeland or austrlalia??? ,, a particular problem arises to applicants whose primary qualification is not form the UK or otther countries recognized by health boards in the two countries,,

despite obtaining the all importnat mrcpsych i dont expect to walk into a Spr job easily since my MBBch is form cairo, my quiery therefore is mainly around the steps required to do locum jobs over there and how easy is it to obtain a post given the above

any advice is needless to say much apprecaited ::)

i think you'd easily get a job in New Zealand if you have the MRCPsych. I worked in Wellington after my house jobs and saw them begging for senior Psychiatrists. One young, UK-trained consultant would be flown down from Auckland to Wellington twice a week to work in a brand new adolescent unit. I'd bypass locum agencies and apply direct to hospitals who can sort out visas, etc and ususally pay your flights if you commit to working for a year. Probably lots of jobs in remote regions but more competition for the main cities...depends what lifestyle you're after. If it's sunshine, stick to Australia! :)

thanks indeed ,, jsut one thing though ,, is ur primary qualification form the uk ? and do u know of sites for hospitals that i can contact directly as u said?

Hi.I worked in Sydney recently where there is a shortage of psychiatrists. There are no SPR jobs as such, registrars become so following 2 years of PRHO training.You're a registrar for 5 years following this then move on to Consultancy after that if you've passed the exams, which have very low pass rates.You are required to see all new presentation to A&E even If you're a 5th year registrar.

There is a massive shortage of beds.Pay is decent but much more attractive if you do locums.If you get an occupational trainee visa once sponsored by a hospital then you can't do locums.You have to be sponsored by an agency.

MRCPsych exams make sponsorship easier but aren't vital.you'll probably be allocated a 3rd or 4th year registrar grade.I can give you some email contacts depending on what you choose to do.There were overseas graduates working alongside me ;).Once you've spent a summer in Sydney you'll never want to come back to the UK !

Evans

Many thanks for you useful comments.

I have recently applied to a few locum agencies. They sound very promising but I am yet to see any results.

What are the prospects of completing Registrarship in Australia and returning to Uk?? I appreciate that things are changing fast in the UK and it is almost a year now and I haven't managed to get a Spr post in Forensic (my preferred Choice).

I would ideally prefer to bypass the agencies and will be grateful if you can give any further infor reagrding how to go about this issue.

Cheers