Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ahsho23

staff grade to spr route

6 posts in this topic

is there still a trend to take staff grade and give mrcpsych 2.

Is it a disadvantage when we go for spr jobs?

what if you have done some research in the meantime?

There seems to be a preference for those who have not stuck around after exams doing locums.I would advice against being in non-training posts for longer than 6 months generally, although it does mean having a lower basic pay as an SPR.

Generally its not a disadvantage working as a staff grade and moving on to a Spr post. As you will know, your basic salary is subsantially higher which you will carry forward to Spr post.

However, if you have been working as a staff grade in child Psych for a good while and then go for a Interview/post in General Adult as Spr, it might not be seen too favourably (or vice versa).

The competition is getting tougher and nowdays most of the Trusts have internal doctors who have applied for the posts too. They definitely will have an edge over you but its ultiamtely your CV (experience) and performance at the interview which matters most.

At first, I was called for quite a few interviews but didn't get the Job. I came up with all sorts of execuses but later i realised, it is your performance at the interview that will reflect the outcome.

The competition for posts at the SpR level is such that there might be no alternative but to do a staff grade post. The idea that this is a disadvantage is not so anymore. If you are a staff grade in the same sub speciality as what you want to be a SpR in then there is no problem at all.

A lot of people make reference to the days when there were loads of NTNs floating about and the only ones doing staff grade posts were thought to be unambitious.

Not sooo anymore i am afraid.