• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest organus

Greetings :)

10 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone ,

let me introduce myself a bit : My name is John and im on the last year of Medicine School at Aristotle University Of Thessaloniki , Greece .

Im really excited i found this forum since i want to be a psychiatrist and im planning to get my specialty in UK. Congratulations to the owner fo the forum and all the participants here , i find all the info i managed to read till far very useful .

Besides the 'greetings' part , i hope i ll get the proper guidance from you people (as you are more experienced than me) when the time comes for me to be prepared for that trip :P

I ve saved many links you ve recommended and i plan to read them carefully so i wont repeat same old n00b questions :)

i ve visited UK(london,manchester and edinburg - god i loved edinburg and read a thread here that says its rotation scheme 'Southern Eastern Scotland' or something is very good).

Feel free to give me any general advice at this point(since i havent asked you anything in particular yet) and for once more im glad i found this forum and you that keep it alive and rocking :)

Cheers

Right.

Some questions to begin with...If the admin here thinks he should move the topic to other subforum , please feel free to do so.

Im about to get my diploma from Medical School this spring or in the worst scenario June 2006.I wish i could apply for the August 2006 SHO vacancies so begin the first typical 6 months in February 2007(i think it goes like this so correct me if im wrong here) , of course after the registration for full membership with the ...GMC?

So 1 Q (question) here : Is this registration simple and typical or requires something special that i dont have under consideration cos of lack of info?

After this registration ( typical or not , you will tell me hopefully) , whats the next step? Some friends told me that i should start contacting the Hospitals or other even from this very moment (though i havent got my diploma from Medical School yet) to express an official or unofficial interest for the SHO post or specific rotation scheme? What do you think? Could you post some links/info i should check? Should i start contacting Hospitals or i dont even know who or what orgs from now or wait till i get my diploma in some months?

I ve visited and read many links such as the homepage of Royal College of Psychiatrists etc , but i couldnt find anywhere a complete list/index of available rotation schemes for Psych SHOs all through UK...So i dont have many criteria (besides what city i d like to be for training judging with...tourist's criteria and not professional or academic) to decide what i d like . Is there a website or something that could help me with that?

i believe that the area i d like to go to get my specialty is Edinburg .Im not 100% sure but its a start point.Could anyone that has trained there share his/her experiences? i ve read somewhere in this forum about the South Eastern Rotation scheme of Scotland for Sho Psychiatrists but couldnt spot any link or any further info.Please i d appreciate some help with that.

Back to my worries now : After a friend's advice (that is an sho in london) im planning to do the folllowing right after i get my medical diploma : Apply to all sho hospital vacancies im interested in and till i get replies that will call me for interview(s) i should already have travelled to UK and started working in locum spots.He told me this will help me to get familiar with the system and that this will beuseful for future application attempts for sho?

Your comments/advice please?

I got lots of more questions in my head (that equal with reasons to get stressed :P) but i think this is a good total for a start...!

Im waiting for your replies and many thanks in advance to you all :)

I'm not very sure how it works for people from the EU regarding GMC registration.I guess you could apply straight away for registration or if you have any doubts, talk to the GMC.

Every rotation has its positives and negatives. Given the competion that is around today for SHO jobs, one can't afford to be very choosy re jobs. I would say start looking at the BMJ maybe a couple of months before you get your Diploma and start applying for jobs. You can always change rotations after you have done 1-2 jobs if you are not satisfied.

well at the moment there are no SHO rotations available anywhere in the country. There are just short term 6 month contracts subject to when the first run through speciality training kicks off in August 2007.

First of all, find out from the GMC (http://www.gmc-uk.org/) what it is that you need to be able to register with them. You'll need that before you take on any jobs (incl. locums). Many moons ago they used to ask for a translated copy of your Certificate/Diploma (or its equivalent), as well as proof of being registered with the equivalent of the GMC in your own country (you could de-register after you had your name on the GMC lists).

I'm assuming that your Diploma is similar to the Licenciate in Medicine/Surgery that other European countries hold.

If you're not familiar with the NHS, consider doing a PRHO job; that's what I did and I found it very useful. It was my first job in a hospital and I didn't know how the system worked. It was also a good opportunity to improve my English. You may want to go straight on to SHO jobs though. You decide.

BMJ is a good place to start looking for jobs. You can access it on line on http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/ Look under Other Resources on the bottom right hand side and click on BMJ careers. Then look under Jobs Current on the left column. Having said that, I don't know if all jobs are now advertised in the BMJ...

But first of all, finish your studies and contact the GMC. There is plenty of competition these days.

Maybe other people have other ideas.

Good luck.

thank u all for yer replies :)

yes i can fully register with GMC after i get my diploma and i realise that competition is tough nowadays...I hope i ll be lucky enough to do what i love :)

back to studying now hehe

thx again

You seem to be very dedicated! You're still a medical student and you're already revising for Part I !!

;)   ;)   ;)