• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hermit

flexible training

9 posts in this topic

I'm full time but would like to be a flexible trainee. My current deanery will only offer 2.5 days per week, which would leave me with financial problems. Also it's hard to get on-calls with it from what i can gather. I'd love a 4 day week. Is there anywhere that offers this? (I do have reason to be flexible so would be eligible for it)

i was a flexi sho for a while. i did the maximum 7 sessions with an on call every 2 weeks.

i moved into a staff grade post where i got better pay for 8 sessions but no on call.

i'm now looking at SpR training but am worried , i really want the research and special interest and am quite fixated on where i want to work but have heard choices are severely limited by working flexi.

i'm not really sure i can cope with full time and on call, so also looking for advice ??

I have stopped applying for SpR jobs at the moment with the current level of competition and hysteria. Since passing my exams over a year ago it has been hell even getting short listed not to talk of doing well enough at interview to be offered a post. Interview scenerios of 7 candidates for one post. I think what makes it worse is that its anyone's guess the criteria used for selection on the day. Not quite clear on feedbacks when i have asked.

Sorry i did not address your question directly but i was hoping this leads into it as a friend of mine who wanted to do flexible training was recently advised because of the level of competition she should apply full time. She was still not offered a post. Sorry to be so demoralising but apparently it is not all doom and gloom as lobbying and lots of luck can get you through.

All the best.

I am a full time SpR but know people who work flexi.

I thought, certainly in my deanery, that candidates for SpR posts do not have to declare a preference for flexible training until AFTER they have been offered a post. I.e. you are competing for an NTN on the same grounds as everybody else, and the interview panel can't decide against you just because you want to work flexi.

Dear Timtam

which deanery are you working in ? most deaneries that i applied for spr jobs clearly stated you have to declare your preference before interview- they even give contact details for peolple to discuss if they would like a flexible training post- although i don't think it makes much of a difference whether you are full time or part time- spr post is supernumery anyway

I think it would make a difference, even if only in terms of how long you will be staying in a given place.

Thanks for the comments. Certainly things don't seem to be done uniformly between deaneries. All very confusing...

This level of competition is worrying me too. Had thought about a staff grade job too, but am hesitant to go down that road - would there be a way back into training? That's a whole other subject, I guess.

you are rightly apprehensive about taking up a staff grade post and then trying to come back to training posts - i know quite a few staff grades who were not even shortlisted - most deaneries ask for your basic salary nowdays - why do they need to know it even before shortlisting ? surely they don't want to pay salary of a consultant to an spr -if you know what i mean - and the situation at present is so bad that for one post thay are shortlisting upto 5-7 people , and getting back into training post would be difficult , situation might change in near future however most people are uncertain about the effects of MMC

your best bet is to go for spr posts immediately after part 2 -

probably our colleagues who are working as staff grades and are trying to take up training numbers can share their experience

At the moment there are little alternatives for the post pt 2 person who does not have a spr post but to do a staff grade. doing a job in a speciality enriches your experience in that speciality. you can't buy experince. i get fed up wuth those who muddle the waters constantly with individuals who have voluntarily dropped out of training to earn loads of money or not to take on too much responsibility. Their situations are completely different from those who have no choice but to do staff grades. Anyway haven't people heard of Article 14 i.e to get CCST and eligible to become a  substantive consultant even without MRCPsych! At the moment this is up and running.