Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gmehta1975

diploma  clinical  psychiatry  irel

13 posts in this topic

dear friends , I shall be taking the diploma clinical psychiatry ireland exam conducted by royal college ireland (dublin) in coming may hopefully . I shall be grateful for any specific/general advice regarding this exam including preparation etc

thanks

gmehta

hi

i am one of the psychiatry trainee. i am sorry i don,t know anything about irish psychiatric diploma but i was curious to know about it. i will be thankful if you could tell me where can i get the information about that?

thanks

Dear Mehta

The Diploma in Clinical Psychiatry examination is conducted by the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland and their website is:

www.rcpi.ie

Go there and if you take the cursor on examinations, you will get a drop down menu. In that you can click on DCP and you will get all the relevant information including past papers

I understand that this examination is for GPs who want to have a special interest in Psychiatry.

One of the good books to read for this exam is by Professor Goldberg and Huxley, mental health in primary care. You need to know what a GP is expected to know about Psychiatry, all basic knowledge.

There are essay questions and few mcqs in theory and for clinicals you have some video clips scenarios where you are asked things like diagnosis and treatment

also there will be short cases for discussion with the examiners

One of my friend had told me about these details

If you send them 10 pounds, they will send you past papers and I think if you prepare all of them, then you can pass. I was told that it is relatively easy exam compared to mrcpsych.

Hope this is useful to you

Best of Luck

Vijay

Not such an easy exam at all.

but allows one do locum consultant posts,.

folk do fail i hear.

Hello Folks!

Anyone sitting the DCP this time around?

I'd lo0ve some further advise as to the differences in primary care referrals in ireland vs UK as I am familiar only with the latter.

Anyone from the shamrock country?

hi guys , Dcp is indeed relatively easy exam . most people who have worked one year or so and or those who have sat part one mrcpsych (with prepration) do pass the exam .. day 1 u have the essay question and mcqs (a book like bird and harrison , which is old at this stage is sufficient )

day 2 u have table oral for 20 min ... two examiners one a psychiatrist and another most likely a gp will throw streight forward questions.. later that day u will be asked to report to one of the hospitals and be given one hour with a real patient and then 10 to 15 min table exam with the two examiners again one a consultant psychiatrist and one gp i bileave , they will ask you to elicit some psychopathology on the patient (somewhat OSCE style)

and good bye

later that evening u will get the result!

if pass u get a huge paper saying u are diplomat .....

would have to agree that this is an easy exam i sat it a while back having just done a year and a bit of psych

i would say know the basics really well.One has to remember that the level of knowledge required is that of a gp trainee who at most will have done 6 mths.It is vital during the mcqs to remember that they are not trying to trick you as in part1 and 2 there are any hidden meanings.The essays i remember are along the lines of how would you assess and manage a 22 yr old man presenting with aud halls.Another one was about how would you assess and manage a 16 yr old girl presenting wit significant weight loss.

My long case was a lady with bpad who was currently well maintained on lithium.I remember the examiners being really sweet and asking general questions nothing v hard.Also the interview i was asked about alcoholism and its effects and something about wernickes and korsakoffs.Cant remember much else my own memory is failing after those writtens!

Book thats really good for this is Prof Patricia Casey's (Irish prof practising in dublin)book I think its called psychiatry in primary care ,really succint and u would have it read in a couple of hours.Hope dats helpful :)

Sandra, you are a star!

I'll get over and done with it next week, then (I hope)!

Cheers

hOW DID THE EXAM GO 4U CARLO,I HOPE IT WAS NICE AND EASY AND THAT THERE WERE NO NASTY SURPRISES .

AND OF COURSE I HOPE U GOT TO SEE A BIT OF IRELAND .

tHEY WILL PROB SEND YOU A LETTER IN A MONTHS TIME LOOKING FOR MORE MONEY SO YOU CAN ADD THIS LOVELY DIPLOMA TO YOUR WALL.ITS QUITE NICE BUT WILL PALE INTO SIGNIFICANCE NEXT TO OUR MRCPSYCHS...I HOPE....THIS WAITIN 4 RESULTS IS MAKING ME A BIT LOOPY! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hi carlo how was the exam?54 candidate passed out of 60 .u can check the result on royal college of physician of ireland webite, as u can see it is really an easy exam.

:)

as i am in this forum i would like to ask if anyone is interested in joining me for DCP in may 05

thanks