• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anupam

Oxford SpR training scheme

13 posts in this topic

Dear Fellows,

Could someone please tell me more about the Manchester SpR training scheme. I am due to send my application soon but would like someone to throw some ' words of wisdom' about the quality of training / clinical work -supervisions ,research opportunities etc. I am quite keen to do a year in Liaison /Addictions and desperate to get into research . Do they have any separate SpR post at the University department (academic / SpR).

Please advise.

Thanks in advance

Sorry guys, it's not the Manchester SpR training scheme I intended to ask about.

I am looking for bits on the Oxford scheme.

Thanks

Previous research is a must for an Oxford SpR scheme aspirant..if you don't have it, try somewhere else.

Am currently spr in oxford. The scheme is pretty good-- includes jobs in buckinghamshire and berkshire. You will spend at least one and probably two out of three years in oxford itself.

There are a couple of addictions placements and one liaison post. Supervision depends on your boss but seems generally good.

There is a one year research post (full time research) and one year post in the academic dept (generally about 50% research). The academic dept is pretty active so you will be supported if you want to go down the fellowship route. There are a number of lecturer posts although the funding for some of them is a little complex so i'm not sure if any will be coming up in the near future.

You can probably get a post without previous research experience but it would be advisable to appear interested in research.

good luck

Hi ,

I'm also interested in the Oxford scheme, but not planning to apply until next year. Any idea on how many applicants to no. of posts. Am interested in liaison as speciality, so is it advisable to apply for gen adult +/- old age ?? :lol:

one of the things with all of thespr schemes is that you never know how many posts will be vacant or how many (and what standard) of applicant will apply. Because of this there's an element of luck when you apply-- if there's only one post going and there are 10 other applicants who have PhDs etc etc then it'll be tough, but six months latter there may be fewer applicants than posts.

I don't know numbers for oxford over the next year and to be honest i doubt the program director does either. Generally oxford has 2 rounds of spr interview per year (occasionally three) and the interviews i know about have been for 2-3 posts.

With regard to liaison it is currently a general adult sub speciality-- you need to do one year as an spr to gain accredition. I'm the liaison spr in oxford at the moment and we cover older age liaison. There is a move in some centres to develop specific old age liaison services although these posts are pretty limited at present( and currently there isn't one in oxford). It wouldn't hurt to do dual accredition and it may offer the opportunity to do old age liaison in the future if that's your thing; it's not a requirement though and won't make it any easier for you to get the liaison post in oxford.

Hope this helps

good luck when you apply

Just to round off this thread-- have learned today that oxfordshire mental health trust are planning to shut down all liaison services!

There will be no spr liaison post from dec 05 (or consultant posts....)

So don't apply to oxford if you're keen to do liaison

mike

unfortunately i'm the liaison spr in oxford and management have been round to tell us that it is happening... so it's a founded rumour now

So is it true that the Consultant posts have been axed??? including a certain eminent liason consultant?

if so that realy spells difficult times ahead for us in terms of job security ..and ensuring our 'marketability'.

What are Radcliffe doing without the (well established) dept?

oh well. ....back to the drawing board!!

cheers

PS mike1g = mike B ? if so JM says hello.

Well, well, well, psychiatry,the NHS, the job security,easier career path, dreams seem to be going up in smoke. i must say the pcts wanting to cut services meaning doctors losing jobs is just not what i imagined when i started medicine. rocky times indeed!

omer, mike 1g does= mike b thanks for message.

Currently axe still hangs over liaison service in oxford. Planned cuts do include both consultant posts (as well as everyone else). The trust as a whole plans to cut 7 consultant posts in total (about 10%).

Just about to enter public consultation period over closures so may be reprieve. Still wouldn't apply here if liaison is your bag.

Heard rumours that cambridge is facing similar problems which (if true) suggests problem is not just local to oxford

mike