• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justme

life after MRCPsych 2

13 posts in this topic

Congrats once again to all who just passed. The euphoria still lingers (and, my, does it feel good! :D) but the practicality of the next step is already here.

I'm just getting my head round applying foir SpR posts. Seeing that these are now so competitve, has anyone got any tips on how to better oneself between now and SpR interview?

My advice is to apply ASAP. If you spend too long worrying about Salary protection you may put yourself at a disadvantage.

My other tips include trying to get onto audits & research projects, some management experience ( SHO representation for example ) and demonstrating your leaning towards a particular specialty ( eg going to a Makaton course for LD rotations ).

At the interview you are likely to be asked about clinical governance

Thanks Evan. I'm interested in LD. Any other suggestions on courses available pls?

Any training on capacity is good. Carer support stuff is good.Also Epilepsy training.

I am not sure where you'd access these specifically but ask around.You will be at a massive advantage in the interview

hi guys

rightly said those who have passed a whole new challenge awaits.dont want to sound 1/2 empty but thats how the situatin is these days

amidst the chaos of changing traning schemes and structure one should look at getting o the band wagon asap.

I couldnt understand the payprotection ,it doesnt make sens to lose 6months to increase once pay by maybe 5-6kper annum instead of earning that amount in 3 months maybe as a consultant!

Anyway thos looking at adult/oldage have no choice these days with competition increasing

Child has been increasingly comp as well depending which area one is looking at.

LD training is in limited areas.

the cacth is now CV...build it up..beef it up..

I couldnt understand the payprotection ,it doesnt make sens to lose 6months to increase once pay
luxury of 6 to 7 months doing staff grade posts for pay protection? i do believe you must behind times i do not know a single person who has done this in the last one year.

Can I say that if you are in a staff grade post already then good for you . The only other time that I might do a staff grade post is to have time off from the duldrums of SHO life . As a staff grade you have the luxury of time and you can do things that SHOs find difficult to do eg: research and audit .

Sadly these two criteria are the sole discriminating factors when making a shortlist . so,

a) get involved with audit -essential

B) reserch important to be involved or to have an idea.

c) attend an interview training course, alot depends on how you present yourself.

d) spend time planning your application form and get as many people as possible to read it and comment ,include senior consultants .

e) aim to be better than average . Most shortlists are 4:1

f) lastly diont forget to enjoy not being an SHO

no i passed part 2 one year ago and i am doing a staff grade post because i couldn't get a SpR position despite trying endlessly. i have gone to quite a few interview courses.

How can i get involved with research while working as a staff grade?

with regard to research perhaps find out whether your dept ever had a pet project that never took off that could be revived, or brainstorm with a keen consultant...

meanwhile, the ffg websites could be of help to find short courses

www.psychminded.co.uk,

www.medicallearning.co.uk,

www.seachy.co.uk,

www.iop.kcl.ac.uk,

www.mentalhealthcourses.co.uk

HI Toyota,

Institute of psychiatry (iop) run masters progs -2yrs part time, 1 day a week or 1yr full time. I think it wd involve carrying out a research project. It seems they start in Sept/Oct though..