• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
christtang

training problem

12 posts in this topic

dear guys

has anyone encountered a diffcult situation that u never able to get any one of ur choice for the next rotation, while u got a very good apprasial from ur own consultant?

under this situation, should a formal complaint to be made to college?

hi dear

please do check discussion under posts during rotation.

i am not sure whether we can complain to Royal college,please do let me know if we can.

Thanks drkantham

I am happy for you having passed the exam this time, would be a big relief to you. I am very disappointed though for my fail in this exam, which was honestly quite unexpectedly. I really want to move on as I got fed up with the rotation. I was not respected over the choices that I was asked to give to the tutor for the job for every 6 months, but most of my colleagues did got their choices in most occasions. I started to think whether cas' I am not that sociable as they all like (going out often with the consultants etc.) I always kept quiet and did my job as good as I could, but I just couldn't put up anymore this time, I felt dehumiliated and nobody appreciated for my work.

I thought of finding a staff grade post but after consulted with my boss, it sounds not a good idea for my CV. It seems that only painting a good CV and getting thr the PArt 2 are the only things keep me going in this rotaion!

sorry guys, maybe I sound a bit too extreme!

drlily, u need to be careful not to jump into a staff grade post. Consider the pros and cons carefully.

Pros - u could get away from the SHO rotation, and possibly from doing the on-calls. you may be able to spend more time on your favourite speciality. you would get a pay-protection at a SG level so it could make some financial sense to switch. you might become more confident in making management plans as you are expected to work independently (depending on the post)

Cons - you could miss out on the specialties that you could have got as an SHO, possibly forever. You might get into a 'chronic staff grade mode' (sorry, no offence intended!) where you might lose motivation to pass the exam, as the job may be too cosy. you may not be able to access protected teaching sessions anymore

being a SG can also significantly damage your CV, as SpR interview panels tend to prefer 'fresh trainees' who are cheaper to employ.

Basically, try to stay on a SHO rotation as much as possible and try out as many sub-specialities as possible, you might find that taking a SG post is the only option after getting your membership, particularly as the SpR job market is very dull and would probably get worse.

I jumped into SG post and really had to struggle and just about got an spr post. I found that i had to really justify to the interview panel, my reasons for taking the SG route and boy this wasn't easy !

Part 2,

You got the spr post anyway but in my experience in 2 spr interviews i have gone to the staff grades who have spent longer in a subspeciality were given the posts. an sho has spent 6 months during his training in a subspeciality while on the other hand a staff grade has usually spent considerably longer. Experience counts.

For the exams it is good to rotate to the various subspecialities i do agree.

drlily,

Don't move into a SG post unless you absolutely have to. A wider breadth of experience at SHO level is definitely worth more to you in the long term. If the situation with the posts on the rotation being offered is really that untenable then think carefully if you've already made up your mind which specialty you want to end up in as an SpR.

then make that transition; but bear in mind that unless you are with a pro-active consultant who will provide support with exams and help you move on as an SpR, its a bit risky these days.

all the best.

drlily, u need to be careful not to jump into a staff grade post. Consider the pros and cons carefully.

Pros - u could get away from the SHO rotation, and possibly from doing the on-calls. you may be able to spend more time on your favourite speciality. you would get a pay-protection at a SG level so it could make some financial sense to switch. you might become more confident in making management plans as you are expected to work independently (depending on the post)

Cons - you could miss out on the specialties that you could have got as an SHO, possibly forever. You might get into a 'chronic staff grade mode' (sorry, no offence intended!) where you might lose motivation to pass the exam, as the job may be too cosy. you may not be able to access protected teaching sessions anymore

being a SG can also significantly damage your CV, as SpR interview panels tend to prefer 'fresh trainees' who are cheaper to employ.

Basically, try to stay on a SHO rotation as much as possible and try out as many sub-specialities as possible, you might find that taking a SG post is the only option after getting your membership, particularly as the SpR job market is very dull and would probably get worse.

I jumped into SG post and really had to struggle and just about got an spr post. I found that i had to really justify to the interview panel, my reasons for taking the SG route and boy this wasn't easy !

drlily,

Don't move into a SG post unless you absolutely have to. A wider breadth of experience at SHO level is definitely worth more to you in the long term. If the situation with the posts on the rotation being offered is really that untenable then think carefully if you've already made up your mind which specialty you want to end up in as an SpR.

then make that transition; but bear in mind that unless you are with a pro-active consultant who will provide support with exams and help you move on as an SpR, its a bit risky these days.

all the best.

It is interesting and probably ironic that both these guys got into spr posts immediately following thir successful part 2 results. On the other hand the dutiful sho that has gone round doing all the jobs is not offered a post.

i assumed you were in a staff grade post before being appointed as a spr. All i am saying is that your experience in your subspeciality as a staff grade would have given you an edge.

ah, now I see.

I wasn't in a SG post and went thru' the usual SHO rotation.

I doubt if I would have stood half the chance of getting as many shortlistings and offers as I did if had taken time out to become a SG.

Which is why (and I can only speak from my experience) I wouldn't advise anyone else to leave a SHO rotation unless they have strong reasons to move into NCCG.

At one time, when SpR posts were going unfilled it might have seemed like a good option; not any more.