Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest drrajeshvaidya

sho or staff grade

6 posts in this topic

hi this is my first thread. i finished 15 mths job in psychiatry as sho & completed 6 months clinical attachment. the sho job was in NI and i dont have section 12, unfortunately i havent got job so far can you please advise me should i appy for scheme or sho post or staff grade job if staff grade job then what about training.

of course first of all i m worried about being without a job. currently i m trying locums. people advise me even for GP job??? as the jobs are competitive.

i will appreciate yr guidance.

Most staff grade jobs ask for three years experience, and preferably part 1. You need to try for a rotation, or a stand-alone SHO job, but I appreciate that might be difficult, esp if you've already done 15 months. There are sometimes trust grade posts but they aren't approved for training, and may cause probs for MRCPsych. Locums are not a bad idea if you're having trouble finding something.

As for looking outside psychiatry... that really is up to you. You have already shown commitment to psychiatry by doing 6/12 clinical attachment. It would be worth seeking some feedback from places you've applied to previously, to shed some light on why you have been unsuccessful in finding a job so far.

hey rajesh!

i understand the dilemma you are facing but still as advised by hermit, i would advice you to keep to a SHO training or stand alone SHO job for now as you will need to cpmplete atleast 30 months at this level to sit your MRCPsych exams. that is crucial or you may not be able to progress to SPr posts.

however, if you can find any educational staffgrade post like the one advertised by leeds on 02/02/06, and if you make it, that is good as it helps you to get to the exam as well. most staff grades however, as pointed by hermit would require a lot of experience(usually 30 months)

you can go into GP as a GP wish special interest in Psychiatry. as you have noticed it is geavily competitive and if left with very little to choose, i would say go for that as well.apply for all posts that you can think of and take what you think has come to you. don't waste time would be the only advice i can give you. cheers and good luck

I think staff grade posts have changed a lot over the last few years with more and more people who have membership, taking up staff grade posts, before moving on to Spr. So I would say that getting a staff grade post may also not be that easy, unless it is a post nobody wants.As advised by paranth I think that continuing as SHO, even a trsut grade might be better at this stage for u!

Dear Rajesh

I agree with Hermit, Paranth and others. I am applying for SpR posts and all the applications except one have the eligibility criteria as 3 years of training in Psychiatry. I really don't know how things will turn up for you but it is good to have all the information on hand to make desicions at the right time.

Given your experience, I think you have a better CV to get shortlisted for SHO posts in Psychiatry

All the best

The vetaran

:)

Hi,

My definite advice would be to go for a GP job!!

I am 35 and still stuggling for part 2 while my GP collegues enjoy a six figure salary if they want to and are in control of their job!!

Unless of course you like psychiatry too much!!!

Would be happy to discuss this further.

Manos